Halloween Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Halloween AA Member
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this autopsy table that I got from the move "The Haunting in Conneticut." I would like to build some sort of wall behind it, like creating a scene with it. I used it last year with some body parts and I have some props from Spirit like a hook, saw. I also have some fermaldyhe (sp??) bottle from the movie too. I don't think many people looked at it because they weren't sure what it was, so this year I want to do more with it. So this is where all you creative people come in handy. I've been thinking about it for 2 weeks now and I haven't come up with anything. If anyone has pictures of things that I could get insperation from as well would be greatly appreciated. :D

Here are some photos of what it looks like and how I used it:

Thanks everyone!!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Great setup! You could use 4x8 sheets of cheap plywood or old pallets to make a pallet shack. A cheaper and simpler way would be black plastic walls held up by a wood frame. Decorate with a rack for holding your "surgical" tools, some backlit x-rays, etc.

Or use white sheets and clear plastic to create more of a hospital/morgue look. For a gory look, splash blood on the wall.

That head you have hanging would look great close to a body prop. Sort of like it was 'just' removed. Maybe add a motorized rumbler to scare ToT's as they creep past.

For my autopsy table I draped a white sheet over a table and plashed red food coloring to make it look like blood from previous experiments.

·
Registered
387 Posts
That is so neat! The head is is awesome looking and you have some other great body parts.

I would go for more of a light background, like warrant mentioned, to create a morgue or hospital feel with some "blood" splashed on it. Maybe get a little metal cart to hold the formaldehyde and surgical tools and put it beside the autopsy table, to help de-clutter everything.

·
Halloween AA Member
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much for your compliments and suggestions. I love the idea of making it look like a hospital and having "blood" stains on the wall. I went searching for photos of old morgues on the internet and found a site with many photos of abandoned hospitals, mental hopitals, etc... I got many ideas. Here are some of the photos I think I will take ideas from.

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
If you want people to know it's an autopsy table, tell them. Put up a sign or have an actor let them know what's going on. The morgue/hospital scene mentioned above is the way to go. Go to the thrift store and get some scrubs so you've got a doc to perform the autopsy. If you can't find a live body to be the doc, make a duct tape dummy or something like that. Those cheap docs Big Lots had last year would work great for this. The table is too cluttered, hang some of the body parts above the table and lay out the others where they would be on a person. If there's a hole in the table, rig up a pump so that "blood" will fall into a bucket below. Don't forget the tools of the trade...cleavers, knives..etc.

With any luck you can find an actor (willing or not) to be the corpse.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
May I ask what is all the excavating in the background of your pics? I first thought it was a great background for a crime scene dig and your body parts were what was recovered...lol!

·
Registered
393 Posts
I have a few random ideas for ya :)

Well you could put a head at the top, and some sort of a body outline (like a stuffed shirt and pants) with a sheet on top. That would def make it look like a body slab - but you may need to illuminate either under the sheet or with a spot light.

The next idea I had was based on the image with the doctor gloves, glass jars etc. You could easily get jars with a black light or glowing liquids in them - make it very "mad scientist" type of thing. You could also get fake organs like hearts in a liquid jar, or just a heart in a jar. You could also do a brain (in liquid) in a jar and the liquid can be black lit with a black light or glowing type of thing. I think, but am not sure that you can find glow powder or something. Perhaps people on here would know more about it than I do as I have always been curious about glowing liquid.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
You can get some pre-drilled pegboard from a home improvement store. You can use it to represent the stainless steel top on the autopsy table, like the one shown in your reference photos. The holes would represent drain holes in the table top. The pegboard material is inexpensive. It is masonite and a 4' x 8' panel might run you about $10 (US). Cut it to size, paint it silver and you are good to go.

Most of the real autopsy tables I have seen have a faucet and a hand held shower head equipped fixture for washing off the body and for clean-up afterward.

Nice find! My compliments on having a prop from "A Haunting in CT," from "A Haunter in CT."

Eric

·
Registered
384 Posts
Great find!

As far as the walls, cheap Masonite paneling is available in white with fake grout lines which mimics tile. If you build a background in that, it can also be used as a screen for projecting scenes from various movies involving morgues and gory surgeries at an offset angle can help set the scene. (I love projectors)

A ductape body under a sheet with a shiatzu massager in the back can appear like a writhing patient on the table.

In addition to standard doctor surgery tools, hang some yard tools like chainsaws and hedge trimmers on the wall for dark comical fillers.

Deleafed heads of cauliflower in jars filled with red food colored water will work for brains.

·
Halloween Bad Girl
1,029 Posts
A few things come to mind with this scene. Looking at pictures I am liking the whole black and white look, with the only color being blood red in the room.

I have some reference photos. I agree with others that you should have a place to hang your tools, but also remember to hang some body parts. Wait are you wanting the normal autopsy room, gore autopsy room, blood filled (etc)????

·
Halloween AA Member
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Definitly not a "normal" morgue. I do want blood, hang my tools, hang some body parts. I looked at home depot yesterday for the fake tiles, but it's quite expensive it would be cheeper to buy foam and make your own fake tiles.

So where do you get a shiatzu messger from?

Gothic - love the pics.

·
Factorial!
949 Posts
make the table sturdy enough and you can put an actor on top. drape some kind of covering over him or her and have him or her lay dead still. or if you can do pneumatics you can have an animatronic just lay there and then shoot up once triggered.

·
Foolish Mortal
772 Posts
First off Don't forget the bolt cutters for that darn ribcage.

I think everyone else has some really great ideas. I think if you go out and find some old pallets they make great wall frames. Cover the inside with white plastic or old sheets tight. If you don't want to spend the money. If you wash anything white or light in Tide liquid it will glow under blacklight as will the water it was washed in. Open up highlighters and dump the liquid in water and it will glow the color the highlighter was.

Maybe instead of the orange lights you could use a flood light. I had a similar scene one year and I had a cheap drop light hanging over the table that I had rigged to a little motor that made it swing a little. What I originally wanted was long flourescent lights that blinked. Like right before they shoot. I figured out how to do it but the lights/bulbs I had were made so they would not do this.

These pictures are cool though. It almost looks like you could have created a scene themed around " Our house is being built on a graveyard " or a crime scene or something like that cause that's pretty much how it looks. Just add cauntion tape.

No matter what I bet the kids still loved it. I would have as a kid. How'd you get that prop table it is cool. I haven't seen that movie yet. What did the scene look like that it was in?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts