Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I need to buy a lot of cheap limbs for some props I am making. like 6 Right Hands, 6 left hands, 6 left legs and 6 right legs. Might need arms or just feet in some cases. Can anyone recommend the best and least expensive website? Thanks in advance!!
Kenswift

·
Registered
481 Posts
Our local dollar store had some hands last year. Don't know where you are, but you might want to check there. They weren't the highest quality, but they weren't bad.

·
Registered
638 Posts
depending on how close-up they will be seen you could try to make them. This way you will be able to control size and shape, and they wont all be exactly the same. Check out some of the more prolific haunters profiles. Daveinthegrave, Terra and a few others have some very nice work that they have done on hands. And a recent thread went into making bucky hands actually usable (ans they look pretty cool too!!).
you could also go the route of bent wire, masking tape and paper mache'. The resources are here, just do a search for "hands" and I'm sure you will come up with all the info you need!!!

-DK

·
Registered
33 Posts
i bought some rubber dish-washing gloves and filled them with great stuff spray foam. make sure you get it all the way down into the fingers. it took about 5 days for them to dry completely since the innermost foam doesn't get exposed to air. (to test it after a few days poke a hole in the glove. if stuff comes out keep waiting) after they were dry i peeled the glove off and i had hands. i admit the palm and knuckles are a little round but they looked great from the back side and even better in the dim lighting of my wrapping paper tube candles. i painted them up, added fake fingernails and even cut them down a bit at the wrist to make exposed bones. i'll post a better pic later tonight (as they are at work). if you need them to be more accurate i'm sure you could carve the palm and knuckles down a bit.

·
Registered
33 Posts
great stuff hand

here's the great stuff hand. if you are real creative you can even scratch out some wrinkles and such on it before you paint it. the detail you need all depends on your lighting. this one got kinda battered around but you'd never be able to tell in dim light.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think its awesome. Great job! What did you paint it with? Thanks for taking time to upload the pics!

·
Registered
33 Posts
that's just cheap walmart craft paint. a little brown, a little white and a smidgen of red, that growth was where some bubbles were so i painted it with some darker brown and some bubonic brown (yellowish brown) to make it more pronounced. the nails are just cheap dollar store glue-ons. i watered down some brown (and also used halloween blood) around the nails and washed over them with diluted yellow so they didn't look so fake. i also cut them. they were to nice so i hacked 'em up.

with this dude, (a mask on a stick) i needed bendable fingers. i squirted lines of great stuff then shoved lengths of bailing wire inside them, painted and applied the nails. they didn't bend well without breaking so i cut them and wrapped where the knuckles would be with bloody gauze. i had that light (and a dim one inside) on a pressure plate so you couldn't see him till you were about 5 feet away.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i bought some rubber dish-washing gloves and filled them with great stuff spray foam. make sure you get it all the way down into the fingers. it took about 5 days for them to dry completely since the innermost foam doesn't get exposed to air. (to test it after a few days poke a hole in the glove. if stuff comes out keep waiting) after they were dry i peeled the glove off and i had hands. i admit the palm and knuckles are a little round but they looked great from the back side and even better in the dim lighting of my wrapping paper tube candles. i painted them up, added fake fingernails and even cut them down a bit at the wrist to make exposed bones. i'll post a better pic later tonight (as they are at work). if you need them to be more accurate i'm sure you could carve the palm and knuckles down a bit.
OK- I am a total newbie here, so take this as you will (I am basing this off of making my own dress form)... But I would try the rubber glove idea or even a latex glove, but put my hand in it, then duct tape around each finger, how I wanted it bent, and the palm and everything before I put the foam inside. Would probably give a better shape.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts