Halloween Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there!

Been reading Halloween Forum for quite a while now...decided to register (finally!) so I can view all the member photos, etc. but also to ask some questions about the set up for our annual charity yard haunt this year:

We're going with the theme in 2010 of a ghost hunting investigation (boarded up old house look, mannequins dressed as ghost hunters with their equipment, spectral apparitions, you get the idea). This is our 1st attempt at blacklighting ghosts that aren't inside the house in the windows. We've got some terrific ghosts from Kentucky Sp FX that we've used in the house windows several times before. It's our family & the adjoining neighbors yards so a big area, lots of room, don't want the black light to be washed out by the spotlights- not really sure the best way to light the ghost hunting figures, their vehicle, their table with equipment without washing out the blacklit ghosts. Set up is all out of doors this year btw.

Black lights we've got on hand include those great Kentucky Sp FX tube ones plus 8 UV LED spots.

Any tips about outdoor blacklighting greatly appreciated!

F

·
0 Posts
You should be fine if you use colored flood lights pointed at the hunters and the car. Then place your black lights in close proximity to the ghosts slightly out of distance from the floods. I would use like a blue, green or red light on the hunters so that you keep them well lit with an eerie feeling and still allow the black light to do its job. The scene actually sounds amazing so I hope you post some pictures. Welcome to the forum and trust me there are some amazing lighting experts on here that will help you with what to do if my suggestion is wrong. :)

·
Registered
720 Posts
You need to get very directional with them. Might be a challenge.

Now, I dunno if you've tried those CFL-sized blacklight bulbs, or whether they work well enough for you. But you can make a "can light" on the cheap, by getting some 6" clamp lights:

Some 6" ducting couplers:

and some aluminum foil tape:

Tape the coupler to the aluminum shroud of the clamp light, and you have a very simple yet directional spot light. You can then aim it at whichever props you need blacklights on, without the whole yard being affected. Spray paint the inside flat black, and it'll keep the inside walls from reflecting light down the coupler, and get less side glow and more directional control.

I made a few of these for my band's practice room cuz we were sick of the 4-ft fluorescent lights wigging our eyes out after 2 hours in there. Got a bunch of lighting gels, paper clipped them to the lights, and BWALA! colored lighting.

I'll see if I kept any photos.

In faaact, I'll make another thread, dedicated to making home made can lights. We'll leave this thread for blacklighting ideas alone.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mr. Gris:
Great suggestions, thanks. Thx for the welcome, too! We're planning to use orange 25 watt bulbs to spot the figures, props, SUV, & our little donation area on the side, also some blue spots on the house windows, garage doors, roof, trees. Pics will definitely be posted- I'll be getting an album of past haunts up here @ HF when I get time to learn the ins'nouts of this site a little better.

Bryan316:
Directional's the word, alright, you nailed our main concern. Those can lights are something we can do in the workshop now- great instructions- thanks much. Looking forward to reading yr. can light thread.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts