Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As part of my "mad scientist" lab panel I have a computer monitor. I need an inexpensive media player that will support either VGA or DVI output to play a video loop. I don't care if it needs to be started manually. It just needs to play a loop continuously. Last year I used a laptop with my projector, but this is going to be outside and I'd really rather not put a laptop outside all night.

I know there are many available on eBay for less than $50. Is that the kind of thing I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Try Goodwill. If you burn it to a dvd you could pickup a cheap dvd player there. I got 2 home theater systems there for $7.50 each. One dvd and one blu-ray. They have lots of monitors, small portable cd players, floor lamps that can be turned into prop stands, and lots of stuff that is cheap and can be re-purposed. Last saturday of month and everything is 50% off.

I got a small cd player about the size of the cd its self for $2.50. using it for my joking seletons

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies but...

I have a PC monitor built into a prop. It only has a VGA and DVI input. Neither of these outputs are typically found on a DVD/BluRay player. That's why I'm looking for a media player with a VGA output.

I will look at Goodwill next time I'm near one but the typical DVD/TV solution isn't going to work for me.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yes, an adapter is probably going to be your best bet, HDMI/VDI and HDMI/VGA ones are cheap on amazon, and then you can use whatever free/cheap DVD player you can get your hands on. Post on your local freecycle/fb market/nextdoor and say why you need it -- people really like to donate things to (Mad) Science.

·
Registered
236 Posts

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Why not find an old computer just to play the video? You can usually find them on a local sales site for $50.

Also, many laptops have connections for an external monitor (and mouse and keyboard, so you are basically just using the laptop as a portable computer). Know anyone with a laptop you could borrow for a while?

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
I have Solid State HD looping Media Players with VGA output, seamless looping with no pause or black screen. PM me if interested.

·
Registered
566 Posts
sheepdiver, I agree completely with David_AVD. I have be doing video projections for awhile now and have about 6 projectors that I use with either DVD players or built-in USB for the video input. However, this year I purchased 3 of the MINI Multimedia Video Players from Ebay for $28.00 each. These work great for a player and they accept USB, SD, and DVD video inputs. For the output you want to play on a monitor all you have to do is buy a $6.00 HDMI to VGA adaptor from ebay and you will be all set. And I just noticed that J-Man has media players with the VGA outputs. I would highly recommend sending him a PM to get the particulars. I know from experience that he is always willing to help.

mini usb player.jpg HDMI to VGA Adaptor.jpg

·
Registered
190 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts