Halloween Forum banner

Need Air Brush Help

2682 Views 24 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  [email protected]
I wanted to get my wife a air brush for Mothers Day. Well I have found out there is a gravity feed and then the one that draws the paint from a jar. I think she will be using differ colors a lot. Since project will be small, Tombstones , wig heads. The gravity feed looks like it would be easier to clean. Dose any have experience with them? I mean if you could pick , which one would you get.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· HELLoween Ubber Lord
2,679 Posts
Terra- yep just use a good regulator to dial the pressure down,any compressor will work,the bigger motor & tank better as it takes longer to drain air supply
& compressor kicks on less wear & tear on the motor. I use from hobby comp for small quick stuff to my full 40 gal shop compressor. (use a moister trap)

& as for the EBay airbrush,never heard of it, but the best advice is-can you get replacement parts....? cheap AB's are ok, but 1-if you can't readily get parts then a waste of money.
I use & love Iwata's line of AB's & save me a lot of headaches.Check with Bearair.com & coastairbrush.com. they have great prices & selections of dif AB's
These are 2 companies run by airbrush artist that KNOW the products & can answer any questions & have great prices & stand behind what they sell !
Badgers universal is good for both worlds siphon & grav, don't own one myself,but heard pretty good things about them.
Personally unless you really know your AB's & stuff,i would stay away from EBay....

· HELLoween Ubber Lord
2,679 Posts
Thanks Dark lord :) Would this be a good first time air brush? It comes with the regulator and air hose for $100. Discount Art Supplies | Craft Supplies | Art Supply Store Online | MisterArt.com
Thats a nice deal Terra, The cr's grav feed are great for low pressure detail & decent background spraying. As for a 1st timer ,well a good AB is worth it's weight,but most of the AB's on the market -brand names- are well made.That is a good one for detail & the BCS -bottom feed-is good for larger. & a little trick ,remove the needle guard cap & you can pull super fine lines/detailing, being able to work as close as 1/2 inch from the item you are ABing.Just take care when doing this as not to ding the end of the needle....... & remember when working with acrylics, CLEAN THEM GUNS UNTIL YOU CAN EAT OF THEM....... hardened acrylics are a nightmare to remove when dried inside of an AB.....
Paasche & Bagdger are the most popular for starter AB for cost & cheaper parts. Most hobby stores carry parts for these, but Iwatas are a little more
But you can find beter prices online than most hobby store prices,unless they have a sale. . Personally after i used an Iwata, i never used anything else ! ( I do custom auto airbrush & T shirts )

· HELLoween Ubber Lord
2,679 Posts
Here is a great deal from Bearair.com on a Paasche VL kit,$55. comes with lg & small bottles,small color cup,hose,etc & 3 needle/nozzle sizes pending how thick medium you are trying to push thru it Paasche VL Complete Set-Bear Air
Iwata also carries now a cost effective version of they'e higher end units called Revolution series,I haven't tryed one, but have heard they are good low cost & perform pretty darn good. coastairbrush.com

· HELLoween Ubber Lord
2,679 Posts
Thinking that maybe an airbrush post in tutorials might be best for Q & A s for anyone getting into ABing,as we have a several experienced ABers here.
Not to mention all the cool trick n tips that are used for paint effects. I think that we have not hijacked this thread as we have kept to the basic idea & replies to haunters looking into ABing & questions of needed equipt,etc.....
& just a warning........ABing is majorly addictive...........:D :eek:
& just think of the T shirts you can AB halloween themes on...................................... ;)
---------------------
& Tera, ABs are like ruffle potato chips....ya can never have just one.....LOL....., & single actions are nice for really thick paints like mixing rubber cement with color tints for mask spraying.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.