Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the webcaster spiderweb maker, and just got it out today to test and Ah... there's a learning curve with this tool and I'll need a lot more practice to get good at it. Any advice you guys can give me that you wish you had when starting out would be nice and the finer points. BTW: I did read the instructions before I used it... I know... that's not normal behavior... LOL!

For my first test I was outside with a couple of tombstones as "targets" and the results were so-so -- the spiderwebs were thicker than expected an had knots in them. I will mention that there was a light breeze that blew the webs off target, so I'll guess that was a mistake? But at any rate I continued trying out the various techniques that I watched on YouTube, e.g. different variations in how far I open the air valve, distance from props, how much I squeeze the glue trigger, and motion of the gun, and BTW I'm know one of the concerns is to make sure my air compressor is outputting 90 PSI.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think the main issue appears to be that the glue sputters out at times and gives inconsistent flow.
Webcaster_Test1.jpg

·
Registered
476 Posts
I think the first time i used mine was with a 90 psi compressor and it didn't work great. i use a 120 now and it works perfect. i did modify mine to work better. the tubing ended up breaking and its now super short. but it still works really well. even better actually. i noticed if you point the tubing up a bit more towards the tip of the glue gun it works much better. also if you flatten the tip of the air tube it spreads the air a bit better helping spread the web with more ease. i noticed that if you point the gun down a bit instead strait at your target it helps dramatically. you get a real nice flow of glue that way. if you tilt it up to much it starts to glob up on ya.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I gave up on the air compressor and hot glue. I went with the rubber cement and fan blade and cordless drill. It gives very consistent coverage and the sticky nature makes cleanup easier. I dunno if you want to change plans so close to Halloween, but this guy's technique worked for me:

https://youtu.be/EVFDTw0e1NY

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, you're right, it's a bit late to change plans. Well, the webcaster works good enough, I'm sure I can make it better with a little more practice... Thanks for the link to YouTube about the web slinger -- That's another thing to try and the refills are cheap... and it's less complicated. it made it look easy!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Take some fishing line and string some of that out. Use it as like main lines to the web. That's how a spider will do it. Connects the main line then works off of that line. (be the spider...LOL)

Make sure you don't try and feed the glue too fast, it needs time to really get hot to flow well.
Also work from the top down. I'll point it at leaves in my trees and as it hangs and i keep moving the nozzle downward from the top, it slowly starts to build up and connects to the ground. (think icecycle slowly inching downward).

Last year I had a lot of wind when I was doing my webs. I just made sure it wasn't blowing back at me and it helped spread the webbing around.

Don't give up... Good luck.

Edit: Sorry about the rotated pictures. Not sure how to fix it.

IMG_5290.jpg

IMG_5312.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts