Halloween Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang!
I know I'm getting pretty ambitious for my 1st time out, but I can't help it...the potential is just too good to pass up.

Ok, here's the deal:
I'm going to build Merlin's flying ghost puppet which is built on a frame made from PVC, and you wear the harness (frame) over your shoulders on your chest. It has one long pole sticking out the front to support the puppet, and two poles connected to the elbows of the puppet for movement and control.
...kinda like a muppet with the sticks to move the arms.

Anyway, this is awesome in its own right, but I want to expand on it. I'd like to have the puppet's legs move according to the movement of MY legs...in other words, I want him to walk as I walk. The plan is to have him hidden inside fog and then come walking out as people approach the candy bowl (I mean, *ahem*...candy BRAIN -- MWAHAHA).

I've got a plan in mind and semi-drawn, but I'd appreciate any input on this. I'd hate to build the whole thing and then discover an obvious logistical or operational flaw. Basically, I've just added extra supporting pipes with straps to attach them to my upper and lower legs, each pipe connected to the puppet in the same places. obviously, I'll have to think of something besides pipes for the vertical supports on my legs, but you'll get the idea from my crude diagram.
...any thoughts on what could be used for the sections that are actually ON my legs would also be most welcome. Please see my diagram, posted below (click it for a larger image).

Thanks, fellow crazy people!!! :)

·
Registered
955 Posts
More thoughts

Chickens idea seems good. If you lock the puppets foot to the ankle and make the knee joint on the puppet only move one direction. Like a real knee, then maybe you could use a velcro strap to easily attach a rod connected to the bottom of the puppets foot, to the top of your foot. You may want the mount on puppets foot to have some swing to it like a hinge. That way your longer strides will not be restricted. But the hinge can only allow a few degrees of swing I figure. Like maybe 10 to 15 degrees. You will have to play with this part. The other thing to consider is where the puppet is located vertically compared to your body. If the puppet is directly over your head, then I don't see how you can handle the trailing foot. You could have the rods bent in a V to allow for clearance on your trailing foot. I think you will also have to take a short of prancing high knee step to provide the right effect. A normal walk may just swing the legs on the puppet which may not have the effect you are looking for. Good luck. Sounds fun.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the input, guys!
I'll give your ideas some thought...especially yours, spinman, coz I'm not sure I follow.
But, the principle of just connecting the foot seems sound. I had the originally thought of connecting the knee as well to try and counteract any side-to-side wobbling when I raise my knee, but if you think I'd have to over-emphasize my steps to get the right effect, then wobbling may not be an issue (??).
BTW, the puppet is in front of me (probably around 3 feet or so), and will be oversized...I'm looking for something around 7 or 8 feet high...should really add to the shock value. LOL

1 - 4 of 4 Posts