Halloween Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

I need some advice. So I have full face (ok 95% full face) foam latex prosthetic mask. I have used it a many times and have rebought the mask now 2 times and have a 3rd unpainted backup. (you know how it is with foam latex) So I do use it a lot, especially at this time of year (its a grinch mask) The first mask I bought I used castor oil and grease paint.

I liked it but wanted something 'more durable'. So I decided I was going to paint my second mask with Pax Paint (50% prosaide 50% acrylic paint) I used medium thinner as well since I used an airbrush to paint the mask. It worked out pretty good intially. (a littler darker than intended but still looks good)

Just for reference here is how I painted it. I did not use castor oil as a prep(didn't make sense to use castor oil to me since I'm using pax paint, should I have?) I pre painted the mask with just prosaide (and some medium to thin for the airbrush). I let it dry and proceeded to paint the mask with the pax paint (with the medium again) I let it dry between coats. The end product turned out pretty good as mentioned.

Its stood up just fine for the event. Here is my issue.... When I removed the mask you obviously have to be fairly gently so as not to rip the prosthetic (especially since I plan on reusing it a few times). However, you still have to lightly stretch the prosthetic to remove it. When I stretched the prosthetic I noticed that the paint was cracking as I did so. The paint do not come off the prosthetic when I did it but I noticed as I reapplied the mask when I lightly stretched it over my face the cracks were visible.(not completely but required I fill in some visible spots)

WHY? I would have thought as the mask stretches the pax paint would stretch as well therefore it shouldn't have cracked as it did. Is it because I didn't have good ratio of prosaide to acrylic. Should it have been more prosaide than acrylic paint ie 60/40 split? Or could it be because I used a airbrush medium designed to be used with acrylic paints and not prosaide? Should I have used water to thin the pax paint so I could use the airbrush? Should I have prepped the mask with castor oil first? (this doesn't make sense to me with pax paint,) Looking for some insight and suggestions before I paint the third mask.

Thanks in advance.

Waik Ryder....

·
Registered
162 Posts
Ideally you want to mix your prosaide and paint by weight, not volume. Bumping up the amount of prosaide will help, but you need to be careful how much you stretch the piece in the first place. A good remover brush can help. Have a peek here, this video is a bit out of date (new one coming soon) but may help:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts