Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the last minute, I'm thinking of adding singing pumpkins to my haunt. Because it's a small projection, I was wondering if I could get away with a cheaper projector that has a native resolution of only 320 x 240? I already have a better projector but that's being used for my window FX so I was trying to get away with something cheaper. Thoughts?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I originally bought this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Hdmi-Portable-Projector-Cinema-Theater/dp/B00G1WYWF0/ref=sr_1_25?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1408050966&sr=1-25&keywords=pico+projector

Man it was terrible!

I then bought this one... It is GREAT! Small too... And has a built in rechargeable battery pack. I've not tested to see how long it lasts on battery yet. I would imagine not a super long time but I plan to have it plugged in.

http://www.amazon.com/AAXA-P3-X-Projector-Minutes-mini-HDMI/dp/B005TAXENQ/ref=sr_1_11?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1408050937&sr=1-11&keywords=pico+projector

This is the first year I am using one... I have the singing pumpkins for this years major upgrade.

So I'd say spend a little more to get a projector with a resolution higher than that.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Out of curiosity I think someone else tried the projector you say is terrible and said it did work for singing pumpkins but obviously for more high quality apparitions you would need more lumens. Can I ask the conditions you tested under?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I tested in the dark (at night) on a wall about 5 feet from the projector... The pumpkin's were heavily pixelated. It did "work" but just didn't look smooth at all.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's my concern, that it will be so low resolution, even where it's able to be close to the item it's being projected on. If I spend $50 it'll be $50 wasted and $50 that could have gone to a better projector. I thought maybe I could get away with it because it's a small projection - just their faces - but I know the Virgo+OCD probably won't accept the quality.

Funds are low so this might have to be scrapped for this year and added to next year's haunt. That "I gotta have it" bug is a killer!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ya my wife was none too happy about me having to get a new projector after getting the $60 one. But she agreed it didn't look good enough. Problem with the lower end projector is that it comes directly from China... The seller said I could return it but it costs just as much to ship it back is it did to buy it... We chalked it up as a learning experience and wishful thinking because of the price.

I then looked at a few more reviews before deciding on the AAXA Pico-Projector. Although it did eat up 75% of this years Halloween budget it was worth it IMO...

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Yeah...I would really like to give the singing pumpkins a try but am also short on cash this year. If you'd be interested in selling the one you bought I'm thinking of giving it a shot. Maybe when funds improve I'll pick up a better one.

·
Lady Of The Lake
2,729 Posts
GIJoe, we did the same thing last year. Kmart put their $119 projector on clearance for $59. My Hubby being the good man he is imediatly swiped that deal up for me. I did ghost in my window not the singing pumpkins. My ghost was very pixilated but it was a ghost so I figured a little blur was okay for $59. We won't be buying "good deals" again without some more info. If I were doing the singing pumpkins I wouldn't have settled. I think that image needs to be crisp. Rock Star Graphics There are a few more threads on projectors on here. Maybe check those out for more suggestions.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,454 Posts
Sign up for Woot!. They have daily deals of all sorts, home, garden, kids, wine, electronics, etc. all year & occasionally they do projectors. From the $$$ ones you'd use for in-home theatre stuff on down to the cheapies. They're part of Amazon now so you can pay through your Amazon account too. Sometimes it's reconditioned stuff, we've bought several Dyson fans this way, but they work grea

They also have some great Halloween shirts in October too.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
GIJoe, we did the same thing last year. Kmart put their $119 projector on clearance for $59. My Hubby being the good man he is imediatly swiped that deal up for me. I did ghost in my window not the singing pumpkins. My ghost was very pixilated but it was a ghost so I figured a little blur was okay for $59. We won't be buying "good deals" again without some more info. If I were doing the singing pumpkins I wouldn't have settled. I think that image needs to be crisp. Rock Star Graphics There are a few more threads on projectors on here. Maybe check those out for more suggestions.
I checked out what others had to say here on the projector topic but the majority were aimed at higher quality ones. I should know better than to cheap out but I figured I'd try and save a few bucks on the projector given I have to go out and also get the DVD, speakers, pumpkins and other materials to pull it off. :( I'd borrow a projector from work but I'm afraid to risk using it outside and having something happen to it. I'll keep my eyes open for a better one and who knows, maybe I'll score a deal before it's showtime!

Thanks everyone for your feedback!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sign up for Woot!. They have daily deals of all sorts, home, garden, kids, wine, electronics, etc. all year & occasionally they do projectors. From the $$$ ones you'd use for in-home theatre stuff on down to the cheapies. They're part of Amazon now so you can pay through your Amazon account too. Sometimes it's reconditioned stuff, we've bought several Dyson fans this way, but they work grea

They also have some great Halloween shirts in October too.
Good call. I check Woot daily and have seen them on there. I think it's just me deciding what I can afford to pay this season. I'll keep my eye on them though!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts