Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a halloween wedding (Woot!) and I want to have fog but I don't want to overwhelm the room with it. I currently have a cheap spirit 400w fog machine (not low lying) which I think might make it a smoky mess if I left it as is.

I'm thinking this machine wouldn't be able to push enough fog through a cooler, but you guys are the experts. Would I be better off trying to make a cooler work or buy a low lying one so the smoke will dissipate a bit faster? We will most likely only be using the fog machine for about 2-3 hours so refilling with ice wouldn't be a big deal.

Here is a link for some images of the space: (The place is called Bube's Brewery in Pennsylvania. It was on Ghost Hunters) :)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/toritoons/sets/72157632855169566/

Thanks!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I found this - and IMO - a traditional fog machine might smoke out the whole room and make it hard to see etc as it is not htat large of a space... but i could be wrong...

I saw this and thought this would kill too birds one stone and is scaleable to larger sizes, which might help you factor the size for the space... So you got your fog and using the Dry ice it will come out cold, making it lay low to the ground -

Only issue is refilling with Dry Ice as needed.....

Just an idea...

http://blogs.howstuffworks.com/2010/05/21/how-to-make-your-own-fog-machine/

·
Registered
79 Posts
Disregard - i did a little more research and the fog will disappear quickly with this method - and quit producing as the water cools, which this method would do very quickly...

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you find something please post it. I'm going to just put together a creepy yard display for this year and i'm looking for a good low laying fogger. Your wedding sound like its going to be cool, I just love halloween :)

·
Registered
436 Posts
I use several 400w foggers for my yard haunt. I use them with home made fog chillers made out of coolers. They do a very good job of fogging up the whole area around my house since they will all go off at different times. They are all on seperate timers. I think your 400w fogger will do the trick with a home made fog chiller. Depending on how much fog you want and considering the size of e areas your using, you might need a second fogger and chiller. Don't waste your money on buying a low lying fogger. The ice chambers are to small and constantly need to be restocked with ice. You are better off making your own chiller and using a regular 400w fogger. I also found the the low lying foggers just don't do as good of a job producing fog as a regular fogger.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I used a fog machine indoors once, it set off my fire alarm, which was linked to my alarm company, who couldn't hear me through the intercom cause I was having a Halloween House Party, so they called the fire department, who showed up 10 minutes later and charged me $125 for the false alarm....good times. Here is a picture:

Attachments

·
Registered
436 Posts
I used a fog machine indoors once, it set off my fire alarm, which was linked to my alarm company, who couldn't hear me through the intercom cause I was having a Halloween House Party, so they called the fire department, who showed up 10 minutes later and charged me $125 for the false alarm....good times. Here is a picture:
Wow. I am kinda surprised you got a fine. Who fined you? Was it the city or your alarm company?? I am a firefighter and we wouldn't have fined you. It wasn't really a "false alarm". Your alarm system worked as it was designed to do. There was smoke, so it went off. Usually false alarm fines aren't given unless it becomes a repetitive problem or when someone maliciously pulls a fire alarm repeatedly or when the system continously malfunctions. What happened in your situation should have been considered a "good intent" call or "accidental".

·
Registered
259 Posts
I'm having a halloween wedding (Woot!) and I want to have fog but I don't want to overwhelm the room with it. I currently have a cheap spirit 400w fog machine (not low lying) which I think might make it a smoky mess if I left it as is.

I'm thinking this machine wouldn't be able to push enough fog through a cooler, but you guys are the experts. Would I be better off trying to make a cooler work or buy a low lying one so the smoke will dissipate a bit faster? We will most likely only be using the fog machine for about 2-3 hours so refilling with ice wouldn't be a big deal.

Here is a link for some images of the space: (The place is called Bube's Brewery in Pennsylvania. It was on Ghost Hunters) :)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/toritoons/sets/72157632855169566/

Thanks!
I have the same/similar 400w fogger and I use it with a fog chiller that I built. It works great, lots of low lying fog. I'm not too sure of the total effect you're going for, but I believe that it should serve you well. Chillers aren't too difficult to create depending on the style you choose. Take a look at the photo album of the one I put together.

I can't speak to whether or not it will set off smoke alarms at the event location. Check with the Brewery management. Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea I was hoping for just a slight fog effect but to not fill the entire space, just a little in the bar area. The management is cool with us using one, I'm thinking at this point making a chiller and using a timer might be my best bet. Hopefully keeping to a minimum. Thanks for all the suggestions!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Are you having a DJ? He may have one already.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts