Halloween Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think about offering a bean toss game on Halloween night in the driveway for kids to play if they want?

I have mixed feelings and slightly leaning against it.

On one hand, it would be fun for them to play. On the other, I can see parents just wanting to have their kids knock on the door, get the candy and move on without any distractions.

Thoughts? I mean, honestly.

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
Kids love interactivity, because it is something different from repetitive and rapidly boring "Trick or Treat" routine.

Instead of a bean bag toss,try a body part toss. Get some zombie hands, feet and a head. Get a sheet of plywood and mount a fake torso on it. Cut holes for the head, hands and feet where they would normally be, but big enough to easily allow the proper part to pass through. Kids get 5 tries to get a part through a hole to get their candy instead of ToT. I did this years ago and the kids loved it. Having multiple sets of hands/feet/head will help speed things up, too.

If that is too much work for the time left, get some rubber bats or rats to substitute for the bean bags. Just remember, make the rules simple enough to speed things up and always offer a candy consolation prize.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You have a good point.

We have a full theme Minecraft bean toss to knock over Minecraft characters (hinged to the table) that we borrowed from a friend, so it does have entertainment value with children. Since we borrowed it, we're a little committed to it if we decide to move forward with it. Your zombie idea is pretty amazing. I may just replace the bean bags with rubber bats (that sounds like fun!). Thanks.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Yes! I've wanted to do this and may try next year. Depending on your neighborhood the parents may like it more than you think. We have lots of you get kids so the parents really love anything extra that makes the night special for their kid.

Reactions: ErikAndre

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
That's not for me...there comes a point when I want people to move along, so I'm not going to give them a reason to hang out longer...I'm busy enough as is, and that would require another volunteer to monitor. But if you are going to do it, body parts sounds like the way to go

·
Registered
351 Posts
Wonderful idea a lot of parents these day welcome anything that slows the kids down from bringing more candy into their houses. The families that want to stop and enjoy the hollween experience the families that just want to fill their candy bags will keep going.

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
Where we haunt now is fairly quiet, around 140 TOT's. And we've done a game to determine what treat any particular kid will receive. A full size chocolate bar, bag of chips, gum or a DVD. The game is "Toss Your Cookies". A simple grid, each square listing the type of prize to be collected. All fluorescent under black lights, and we play the "thinking" music from Jeopardy while playing. We use real cookies... It adds a little to the experience, doesn't require any time, and is a great prelude to entering the Haunted House.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts