Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So one of my friends has volunteered to read tarot cards at my party this year. I was thinking of setting her up in the living room and her and the person wanting the reading can sit on the floor at the coffee table. I;m having a hard time deciding on decorations for the living room. I kind of want it to center around the tarot cards. I'll have a cabinet of curiosities in there but even that I'm unsure of what to place in there...So, I need your help!!:D

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
If you have a wax scent warmer, something musky would probably work really well--or like a sandalwood scent. Incense would work also, but some people are sensitive to the smoke, and/or don't want anything actually burning in their scene.

You could try to print some of these images and "age" them, blow some up as posters maybe--frame a few with dollar store frames spookified: https://www.google.com/search?q=printable+tarot+images&client=firefox-a&hs=srP&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=gWEfUsPREaiU2gWX5oGABA&ved=0CC4QsAQ&biw=1252&bih=609

A soft volume meditation music CD or MP3 might be useful too--or "Gypsy" style music.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
See, yall are brilliant! Oh man I'm so excited!!

·
Registered
13,626 Posts
Willodean, not sure about the layout of your living room with respect to rest of house but I love the idea of a creating a special entrance to the fortune teller room or "tent". If your house has a framed kind of doorway entry to the area like our house, you can use spring pole tension rods (check Big Lots, ROSS DRESS FOR LESS, Walmart, etc) to span the doorway if not too large and run beads as someone suggested or I use velvet-like drapery panels (picked up cheaply at a ROSS) for our room and add a tie back to it.

A fortune teller sign would look great positioned before you would enter the room. If you have or can make some kind of easel to display it on, that would look nice. Even a sign attached to a pole stuck in a base to hold it erect would work (maybe a tiki torch stand, or coffee can with quick set cement, or possibly if you have a telescoping camera tripod you could rig something up with that).

If you are planning a floor sitting, make sure no one has bad knees, otherwise a tablecloth-covered folding card table would work better. I'd also be careful when using scents. If you go the route of a table, you could set a small table lamp on one side of it, cover it with a colored and/or lacy fabric (be sure to use very low watt dim bulb so as not to overheat and start a fire) and turn off the lights in the room to create more ambience. The dimness will swallow alot of your living room items and focus the attention on your fortune teller and table.

Remember that your guests might be there for a few minutes for a reading but your fortune teller could be there for hours so make sure she will be comfortable.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ghost of Spookie, thank you so much for all those suggestions. I do have a framed door way and it's arched. I love the idea of curtains, I'm really liking the odea of velvet ones!

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
I dated a witch who lived in Salem, MA in the mid-90's. Back then, anyone in town working as a fortune teller needed to hang a prominent sign declaring it was for entertainment purposes, there was no guarantee of accuracy, and some indemnifications for the fortune teller regarding personal problems, mental health and it isn't a substitute for psychiatric therapy. The bartenders in town wished they could hang a similar sign. :D

·
Registered
503 Posts
One part of my static display includes a fortune teller witch. I have one of those pop-up tents in black that I use. You could also use it inside a house too to create a room within the room. I like the tent because it gives the carnival feeling I expect with a fortune teller. The other benefit is the framework underneath gives lots of options for lighting and hanging accessories such as the sheer purple draperies I have framing the entrance.

Inside the tent, I have an area carpet on the floor and place a black metal table I got from Ikea . It has a round table top with a pattern of small cut-out holes in it. There's also a small round shelf underneath. I drape the table with light fabrics - they're actually square scarfs - much cheaper than table cloths. I layer them and then put a light on the small shelf that glows through the holes in the table top. I place Tarot cards around the table top and cover it all up with a clear glass top. This protects the cards from moisture and theft - really nice Tarot cards can be expensive. My witch stands behind the table and I place a large chair at the side, inviting her customers to have a seat. This creates a great photo opportunity for trick & treaters. I also have a buffet table in back that holds an assortment of items you'd expect a fortune teller to have including books, a crystal ball, lots of candles, an Ouija board and a pet bird. One year I had a bowl full of fortunes that people could take, another year I had a bowl of fortune cookies. There's lots of opportunities to "set the stage" as it were. Should be really interesting In your case because you'll have a live fortune teller!

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,585 Posts
Definitely ask your friend if there is anything specific she may want...some readers use certain scents and tools for concentration, cleansing, opening the mind and such. In reality, you don't really need any decor to read tarot cards, I have just sat down and read them before with no tools or spooky lighting, lol...but if you want to add flair, mood and make it fun for your guests, then I would add crystals (I like to use different crystals for things like that), incense in earthy, natural scents (think how sage is burned for cleansing the area), low lighting, lots of candles (real or LED, depending on if you want open flames or not) ect. You could also drape fabrics over things to give a mystical, airy feel to the area.
(oh, it also helps to know how your tarot reader identifies...is she a Wiccan/Pagan/Witch type or is she a Medium/Psychic? This could change some things used in the room!)

·
Registered
668 Posts
I have a big cardboard refrigerator box that I've painted and decorated. It sits out front by the road, lit up and advertising fortunes. It's just big enough inside for a person and chair to fit quite comfortably with a cut and folded down (and supported) counter for showing the cards. I bought some fake coin fabric trim and lights to edge the opening. Cut a door into the side. I had my Grandma out there telling fake fortunes with some tarot cards I don't use/like/care about. When she needed a break, we set one of those "spirit ball" animated head props up and let it talk to people. This works for a quick walk-up, made-up type fortune not so much if your reader wants to do a longer or in-depth reading for someone.

Other input: you could hang a little fake round tent made from a 3M stick-on hook on the ceiling, some to hang with, a hula hoop and some fabric (even cheap muslin or dollar store freaky fabric) and trim. Hang the fabric from 3/4 of the hoop, string some trim on the front 1/4, and drape the fabric so it's open wide in front (maybe with some dim lights inside). No live candles/fire obvs. Like this, but a bit larger depending on your space? This can add some height and draw people to go see what/who's in the tent, as well as a little concealment and/or mystery. Also gives you something, if it's high enough, to hang some kind of "fortunes told here" sign from.

Sitting on the floor, unless most of your guests are younger, is probably a no. Find a chair, cushion, foot stool or something.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Pocohauntgal, do you have pictures?
I'll have to look in my files for some photos. I just dragged out a few of my cast today - need to check everyone over and dress the dummies.
Hopefully have some time this weekend to pull out the rest. Here's part of the crew ...

HalloweenGang.jpg

Also re-did my little tikes baby buggy for my baby vamp. I did mine in red and light grey a couple of years back but recently saw one on Pinterest done in black, grey and red that looked good so I decided to repaint mine. I also changed the grey hubcaps by adding eyeball covers.
Now if I can only find which container I packed my vamp baby!

View attachment 166915

Attachments

·
Lady Of The Lake
2,729 Posts
When I think fortune tellers I think celestial items as well. Moons and stars. Crystal ball, I did this gypsy box for a friend's reaper gift. You could make one of these with random things in it. The idea is the fortune teller tells you to choose something from the box that you feel strongly about this becomes your good luck charm. You have to put something back in though. I just used things I found around the house. Sea shells, sea glass, charms, pins, crosses, things from jewlery etc...
If I were you is set it up like Moroccan style. Pillows on the floor and jewel tone lanterns

Attachments

1 - 20 of 36 Posts