Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Purely and Simply....EVIL
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys..its getting close to my FAVORITE DAY OF THE YEAR and i have never felt so uninspired as I have right now! I have one fall candle out and thats it. Usually by the time the tubs are out, Ive stalked all the Halloween stores multiple times, Im on the forum non-stop...giddy with excitement. Im just not feeling it this year and its very depressing! I think the big thing holding me back is that we have bought a franchise and opened our first store this year. It is exhausting me ...not so much physically but emotionally. Every day I wonder if I did the right thing..its so draining and everyday there is ALWAYS SOMETHING! I am still working part time doing medical review as the store is new and we won't be making money for awhile. So Im trying to keep the store going and keep working. Aside from that, my house is in the worse shape its ever been. Every drawer, closet, shelf is a mess. The attic and basement and garage are even worse. This was going to be my year to clean it out and get everything organized. Never happened. I can't even imagine getting all the Halloween stuff out in the mess I am trying to deal with now. I know Halloween will come and I will be so sad if I have nothing done :( I needs some inspiration!!
Oh..and for those of you wondering what franchise we bought..its called Sub Zero Ice Cream & Yogurt. Its an Ice Cream/Yogurt concept using liquid nitrogen to make your dessert. Its actually really cool! For those of you who watch Shark Tank on ABC it was featured on it this year in January and again in June. We are the highest grossing store out of the whole franchise, which is GREAT! but a big responsibility! Need some Halloween Spirit fast!!

·
Registered
799 Posts
Try to take a breath and relax. It's ok to take a break from Halloween sometimes. Maybe you just need some chill time and your fave scary movie. :)

·
Registered
759 Posts
I'm right there with you. I've done some simple decorating but nothing for weeks. It's like I've lost my Halloween MOJO. I'm sure it will come back to us maybe we just need to pop some popcorn and watch Hocus Pocus or something. :)

·
The Haunting Girl
864 Posts
Stop trying to force it! You have a lot on your plate right now and you need to focus on that. I was having the same problem and then I got "jumped" by the Halloween spirit. Now I'm in a time crunch to get stuff done, but I'm actually enjoying it. Just do some window shopping, watch some movies, and relax. Try to avoid doing anything haunt related and enjoy the season. Trust me, you'll feel a lot better.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I wouldn't worry. It sounds like you have plenty of other things going on and I know it would sadden you, but maybe it's ok to take this year off. But then that means next year you'll come back with a vengeance!

·
Registered
865 Posts
OK guys..its getting close to my FAVORITE DAY OF THE YEAR and i have never felt so uninspired as I have right now! I have one fall candle out and thats it. Usually by the time the tubs are out, Ive stalked all the Halloween stores multiple times, Im on the forum non-stop...giddy with excitement. Im just not feeling it this year and its very depressing! I think the big thing holding me back is that we have bought a franchise and opened our first store this year. It is exhausting me ...not so much physically but emotionally. Every day I wonder if I did the right thing..its so draining and everyday there is ALWAYS SOMETHING! I am still working part time doing medical review as the store is new and we won't be making money for awhile. So Im trying to keep the store going and keep working. Aside from that, my house is in the worse shape its ever been. Every drawer, closet, shelf is a mess. The attic and basement and garage are even worse. This was going to be my year to clean it out and get everything organized. Never happened. I can't even imagine getting all the Halloween stuff out in the mess I am trying to deal with now. I know Halloween will come and I will be so sad if I have nothing done :( I needs some inspiration!!
Oh..and for those of you wondering what franchise we bought..its called Sub Zero Ice Cream & Yogurt. Its an Ice Cream/Yogurt concept using liquid nitrogen to make your dessert. Its actually really cool! For those of you who watch Shark Tank on ABC it was featured on it this year in January and again in June. We are the highest grossing store out of the whole franchise, which is GREAT! but a big responsibility! Need some Halloween Spirit fast!!
First of all, cut yourself some slack! You have a tremendous amount on your plate and maybe no room for more. When you run a business, it's always with you. That can be both exhilarating and exhausting at the same time. And you're still working a part time job as well. And surrounded by ice cream and yogurt (well, that's a huge plus! ;)

Forget about the master clean out and organize. Try to keep your daily clutter down just to relax your mind. Aim to do a drawer or shelf a day. If you don't manage it, forgive yourself and try again the next day. When you're too stressed to sleep is a great time to tackle something mundane like that. It will make you sleepy and you'll accomplish a nagging task at the same time.

As for Halloween, have you thought about decorating the store instead of the house this year? You're there all the time anyway. It would attract attention to the store and could start a whole new tradition. Maybe you could feature a different ice cream/yogurt flavour each day as you count down to Halloween.. Pumpkin ice cream, Green Ghost yogurt (mint chocolate chip)....That"s if you have that flexibility in your franchise, of course. The same with decorating.. If you have a cool animated prop that can stand sentry at the door - awesome! Decorate the counters, windows, menu board....feeling inspired, yet? ;)

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Tonight, take a few minutes and go open a few boxes or bins of Halloween Crap. Look at them and start planning what to do with them slowly.

If this doesn't happen, take the extreme way : Take all the bins out, spill everything out, freak out at the mess and run out the room screaming, and curl up in a ball, rocking to some good old Polka muzak from 1960.

If I could, I would help you in person, out in a second, of course. I know, the first day I started unpacking, I felt overwelled very quicky. But I realise, doing it bit by bit, should be okay. I hope.

I hope this helped out.

JM

·
Somewhat Eccentric
2,278 Posts
I can relate! I work for myself, though I limit "actual" money-making work days to two. The other five days I spend helping my my grandma and MIL as much as I can, working on the house (drywall repair at the moment), mowing, mowing, mowing, and worrying about inventory on hand and whether a new item will be sell or be a flop. My actual work year will end on Oct 27. and though I love what I do, I couldn't be happier. I just get burnt out and the five months off seems to fly by way too fast.

I finally gave in to my Halloween obsession last year as a stress reliever. I love it and I can honestly say it's been fun working on props and jotting down ideas all-year long.

Even though I'm doing what I love with my job and the obsession, I cannot seem to give 100% because the realization that the house remodel still isn't finished constantly nags at me.

So though I can relate, other than trying to dive into Halloween as a way to relax, I have no other advice or ideas.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Oops! Forgot to say 'Congratulations!" on your new venture. That is so exciting. All the best!

P.S. Love Shark Tank and it's Canadian cousin Dragon's Den. It's a bit of a Gong Show for some entrepreneurs, though. Sometimes, I just have to look away. :)

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
I understand completely. I find I can't focus on two things at once, so if something requires my full attention everything else is going to slide.
If I were in your shoes, I'd have to take whatever free time I could find and get my house in order. I simply can't function when my house is a wreck so that would take priority over Halloween. Once that was done, I'd be more likely to relax.
And let's face it; as much as we all love Halloween, there are more important things. Like running a business and making a living! Yeah, crazy talk, I know. Take care of the important stuff and everything else will work itself out. Good luck! :)

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I agree with decorating your store - and it has the bonus of getting some of the stuff out of your house! If and when you have a little time to relax, watch Hocus Pocus and eat or drink something pumpkin related. You can always decorate your house next year when your business is an awesome success!

·
Registered
276 Posts
I was having the same lack of motivation--I have a lot going on right now also, but then today I decided I was just going to get a couple of my favorite things out and leave it at that. Turns out once I started I have a lot of favorite things and before you know it more and more were coming out--so maybe just take a minute and look at a few of your favorite decorations/props and see if they inspire you. Just decorate with what makes you happy to look at and is fairly easy--you do not have to go full out. ENJOY!

·
Purely and Simply....EVIL
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the positive vibes!! I know I will regret it Halloween night when I have nothing out and will feel very sad and depressed! Im going to do something simple in the store..the liquid nitrogen makes a great fog effect...would love to black light it! Want to take some props but nothing fancy as I can't stand the thought of random people touching all my props lol!! The weather here has still been HOT..if it would cool down some I could get in the mood!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts