Halloween Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our haunt this year will include a funeral scene with a long lost rich uncle.
He'll be laying in a black coffin with a red liner in it. The uncle will have pneumatic abilities lol and will pop up every once in awhile. The organ will be back and the organist will be playing funeral music this time. I also want to have a table with a photo of the uncle, candles and a 'in memory' or condolance book. In order to make the book, I need to have a story or background info about him. What I have so far is that he was born on 06-06-1906 in the small town of dead quiet (the name of a real town in holland). His name is Karel Daver which translates to cadaver in dutch. And that he was very rich and cheap. I was thinking of adding some pics from his life in the book. Things he would have experienced in his 103 years of life are...WWII (thought about having him work for the Germans but that might be kind of sensitive still), and the great flood of 1953.

So are there people out there who want to have a go at giving him a background?

MsM

·
Shadow Crosser
741 Posts
Let's see...
He was born very poor and he amassed his fortune by being very frugal with his money. First real job was a shoe shine boy when he was orphaned at the age of 10. A rich man took pity on him and took him in and taught him a trade. But the rich man's son was very jealous of him and would play very cruel jokes on him.

(now do you want him to be a bitter person, cruel person, etc. A temperament will help to build on this story.)

(IF everyone pitched in and added some detail it could become really funny/interesting.)

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I want him to be hardened by life's hard knocks :)

·
Shadow Crosser
741 Posts
Okay, so we need to list a lot of unfortunate things that happened to him to make him a hardened person.

I'll start with:
1) The rich man's jealous son killed his dog (he'd had the dog from when he was 5 years old) and put it under the floor boards in his room and he didn't find it until it started to really smell. When he finally found it the dog had a garret around it neck and the tongue was black and swollen, the dogs eyes were covered in maggots.

2) Boys from more affluent families would pick on him every day and somethings take his shoe shine supplies and throw them in the gutter or gang up on him and hold him down and rub shoe polish in his face.

·
Girl Gone Mad
1,638 Posts
Well, actually he would have seen a lot more wars than just WWII..a crazy wife who very demanding...buy her this, buy her that....she wants this house, no this house isn't big enough we need something bigger...nag nag nag.....perhaps his parents died, or gave him up, or whatever other tragic thing, was raised by a mean relative, or even an older brother who had to work hard to keep the family together, followed closely by this guy who was forced to work to help out if he wanted food in his mouth, thus the reason why he fought so hard to be rich. He was a real hard a$$ about making his money too, tight pocket, and didn't matter how he got it and who he hurt. Maybe he's originally from England or something and left to keep from getting drafted in the military? Or maybe he had moved to England when he got out on his own and came back later in life. Or maybe he WAS in the military and that just hardened him up more, made it up to the rank of Captain or Lieutenant? Most of what he learned he learned from life, he couldn't afford school when he was young and life and greed made him too hard to go back. Wife deceased. Maybe lost a child or two over the years. Maybe he was a drunkard sometime in life.

Oh, sorry I'll shut up.....you got me on a subject I like, writing stories. But I'm sure someone can come up with something better. There's a lot of talent and imagination here.

·
sasquatch
3,076 Posts
Maybe he is working with the Germans as many Dutch did during the war. The Nazis saw a smart and ambitious young manl. So he worked in a consentration camp as an aid to Dr. Joseph Mengala and aided in his experiments but was transfered before the allies found the camp. He could exape when He saw the Nazi cause going bad. He could change his apearence and move to the United states were his brother lives and join up in with other ex German military to invest in real estate. He could be a slum lord who makes his tenents live in scaler while he buys more and more becoming wealthy.

·
Registered
80 Posts
WWI, Great depression, WWII, Korean War, Vietnam War, Desert Storm, Gulf War just to name a few things he would have seen on the darker side.

So, his old man died in the WWI over in Europe and his distraught mother died from deep depression and alcoholism. He and his brother became orphans during the Great Depression and worked as a shoe shine boys living and working on the streets and in tent citys (Hoovervilles). His younger brother was taken in by the church but he felt he had to provide for his sibling and remained doing his job. He became accustomed to living with nothing and saving everything he had so he could get his brother back and they could live comfortably. However his brother was soon placed in a home and he last touch with him. This is when his frugality and hard work became an obsession of sorts. Others took notice of this and one night beat him unmercifully leaving him near death and stole everything he had. Having nothing of value and feeling no value in himself because he let his brother disappear he started drifting and working odd jobs as a laborer in fields and industry. He started amassing his fortune again and one day met a man who befriended him. They entered into business and it became very successful. He became quite rich, but it was not enough to satisfy his void. His obsession drove him to kill the partner in an accident. During his partners Eulogy and wake he found that his partner was actually was his brother. Distraught he spiraled towards death in depression and alcoholism.

That's all I got. Not good, but maybe a start for someone elses better idea.

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, you people have missed your true calling haha
You should all be television writers :)

Yeah, many of the dutch worked with the Nazi's and they were really hated here. Its also still a sensitive subject....and I'm already pushing it by doing a funeral scene.
A dutch soap opera is using a nazi storyline at the moment. The media just found out that one of the most successful businessmen in their imaginary town started his business with money from his grandmother who got it from her husband who worked for the Nazi's.
Maybe I'll have to do some digging into WWI history and see what I find.

Keep going!! and thanks!

MsM

·
The Mrs. to a MysterE
2,362 Posts
OR... (go with me here...) he grew up an extremely adventurous youngster - always collecting things. He made his fortune as a world explorer, finding artifact, you know - the stuff of legend -- from ancient ruins to deepest jungles, swamps to sand dunes - he saw it all... strange animals, dark caves, no stone was left unturned.. and ooo -- the ladies swooned over him. Wherever he explored - he managed to gather gold, jewels, shrunken heads, , mummified creatures, antiquated vases filled with unusual potions that gave strange powers to the ones brave enough to take a sip!
Now he is on his last, most mysterious adventure - exploring the afterlife!! Or is he....?! BOO!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Early on in his life, Uncle Karl was very poor and often begged strangers for food. He admired the rich folks with their handsome outfits and dreamt of one day being rich himself. He would do anything to get there. One night after a less than successful day of begging, an 18-year old Karl wandered through the woods outside of town. He began shouting out "God why can't I be rich like those who won't even spare a few crumbs for me?" After cursing God, he heard a voice from the shadows whispering to him... "God doesn't care about your problems. He won't help you, but I can." Karl made a bargain that night with the shadowy being and soon enough he became one of the richest men in town. Rather than being sympathetic, Karl was cold to the poor folks and would often spit at them. The rich folks did not accept Karl either and so Karl was forced to leave the town and start a new life for himself. During WWII Karl met with some shady men who were searching for immortality. Karl and his new friends conducted unspeakable experiments, each more gruesome than the last. As Karl moved up in years, knowing that his time on Earth was drawing to a close, Karl's search for immortality grew more desparate. Karl collected numerous artifacts from around the world that supposedly had magical powers, though many were in fact cursed. It looks like Karl finally succumbed to Father Time and lost his race with the devil....or did he???

·
The Mrs. to a MysterE
2,362 Posts
Hallow and WoW!! Luv all these ideas!!
Blend the stories and rock the haunt! So fun!!

MsM -- I wanna stroll through this haunted scene when it is done - please take video for all your virtual guests!!

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,329 Posts
I'd love to help but my brain is the consistency of cottage cheese right now (mmm. cheeeese) and I am drawing a complete blank. :(

Looks like you've gotten lots of great ideas! :D

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Such great stories! Thanks! And Susie, you crack me up with your 'boo' and positivity! is that even a word? lol
I was thinking it would be cool to put pics of him at various stages of his life....as a kid with a lemonade stand, making money during the depression off of other people's misery, dealing in stolen art during the war, selling lumber at twice the price during the rebuilding after the great flood...etc. But man, that would require finding just the right picture with that scene in it and then transposing Karel's head to the scene! I'm not sure I"ll have time to do all of that not to mention the photoshop skills that would be required! Pfft it makes me tired just thinking of it lol I'll have to see how much I get done this weekend on the other items.

Oh and Frankie's girl, dont worry about it...I'll put you on reserve for the game ideas I"m going to need once I post it in the party section lol

MsM

·
The Mrs. to a MysterE
2,362 Posts
I'd love to help but my brain is the consistency of cottage cheese right now (mmm. cheeeese) and I am drawing a complete blank. :(

Looks like you've gotten lots of great ideas! :D
Oh boy oh boy oh boy :D Even in THIS thread we find great party-food serving ideas! lol Open up your skull tops Buckies - here comes the cottage cheese! BOO! :D

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,606 Posts
We're doing a very similar scene in our haunt this year. The patrons will be in the que line outside the castle wall. The gatekeeper will explain that the lord of Eerie Manor passed away suddenly and unexplainably last night at midnight. His few remaining relatives were contacted but none of them will come to the funeral, so the patrons are the only ones who will view the body one last time. It will be explained that the lord was not well liked and that he was a reclusive old man who did little to help others, hence the reasons no one will pay their respects. At this point we'll let a small group through the castle door and into a small walled off area where another actor will tell them to walk quietly to the viewing room and gaze at the body in the coffin (another actor), being careful not to show any disrespect. The coffin is a wooden toe pincher, also lined in red satin. There will be four 4x 8 wall panels as a backdrop and a table that the coffin sits on, draped in dark fabric. We'll have another actor under the table who will randomly come flying out from under the table. alternately we will have a third actor using a fcg puppet to leap out a people. The actor in the coffin can move a little or sit bolt upright as a diversion scare and then one of the others can go for the kill!
I'm working on a sound track now which will likely have some creepy organ music, maybe some wind in the backround, etc..
I like your idea meeps! The story lines you've been given are good ones. I'd just be careful not to get it too involved as I think you'll lose some folks. They want to get into the haunt and get the scare so a long drawn out story line may be lost on some of them.

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow jdubbya, your story sounds VERY creepy! And with actors! Can't get better than that!
I'm a bit confused about why you have an actor UNDER the table though. Is that just for the startle effect?
I painted our coffin this past weekend. Its black and has a red liner (made the liner this weekend as well). The fabric for the liner wasn't as shiny as I had wanted but it was cheap lol Hubby made the pneumatic mechanism for it and we are now working on the body. So our guy will pop up at the push of a button :) Hubby picked a strange design for the shape of the coffin. It doesnt really 'say' coffin to me, but it does for him. Maybe its a european thing lol

The story is for a condolence/memory book I want to make for the scene. It will be on a table next to a picture of him in his younger days and some candles. So people can view the book at their own leisure. We dont have tot'ers :(

MsM

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,606 Posts
The guest book idea is great! I may "borrow" that one. I never thought of having framed pics of the "deceased" near the coffin. Definitley adding that! Yeah, the actor under the table is just for the scare factor. It's a distraction scare as people will be primed to look at the coffin (the actor there can move ever so slightly, holding the audience's attention), the guy under the table comes rushing out. I'll have very dim lighting on the coffin, and a black light on the fcg puppet, making it look like a static hanging prop. Here is a link to the puppet I'm using. This was given to me by another local haunter and board member (lewlew) and is an awesome prop. I've got three people who want to man this thing so I've got to flip a coin! LOL! (Be sure to click on the video of the puppet in action)
Haunters Hangout fcg puppet

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, I'm hoping our guests will look thru the book and sign it. Should be interesting to read what they write :)

I hope the guy under the table is flexible haha If it were me, you'd just have to put some cushions under the table and let me grab ankles :D
That is one awesome puppet!! Did yours turn out as good? Silly question, you are jdubbya so it probably came out even better! Forget flipping the coin...sell out to the largest bidder haha

MsM

1 - 19 of 19 Posts