Halloween Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My primary purpose on Halloween is to spook, shock and otherwise scare the living bejesus out of unsuspecting people. Last year, I dressed as a scarecrow, so I could 'hide' in plain sight, then move when least expected. But I loathe doing the same thing 2 years in a row, so I'm looking for some ideas as to what I can conceal myself as and still pop out and shock people.

Keep in mind that my location is relatively urban, so foilage is hard to come by.

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,084 Posts
Classic Misdirection.

Put a realistic dummy in a chair by the door with a lowered hidden face, hide on the opposite side or behind a black fabric sheet in a window nearby. Have a really outrageous monster mask and gloves, and plenty of candy as a reward for braving your porch. Let them get close to the dummy, tap it with a foot, etc., then let 'em have it.
Keep your distance, out of arms reach.
Just step out (or lean out) and moan, laugh, say something. Don't yell or scream, but use good volume.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Similar idea is the old reverse coffin.

In a coffin have a really fake looking head and torso opened up to show the world. The secret is that you are lying inside with a much scarier mask, etc at the opposite end (so the fake looking mask is at your feet).

Watch through a peephole and as people come up and comment about how fake the decoy is, pop up from the other site of the coffin and scare them!

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
We place static props around...on the porch in the yard, by the walkway. We use John's old costumes and rotate them around from year to year. So...they have no idea which one is John and which is a prop and we don't have to spend a ton of money every year. (just a half ton) We usually go after the moms. (hehe) We've had them stand at the sidewalk and yell at John to come out. Of course he doesn't! Man...we LOVE it!!!! :D

One of the best was when he stood statue still in the driveway. They would go to the front door and when they came back he would be standing statue still in a different spot. They never saw him move. Then later when the teens came out he'd do that going down the street, just for a couple of houses though. What a riot that was!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Similar idea is the old reverse coffin.

In a coffin have a really fake looking head and torso opened up to show the world. The secret is that you are lying inside with a much scarier mask, etc at the opposite end (so the fake looking mask is at your feet).

Watch through a peephole and as people come up and comment about how fake the decoy is, pop up from the other site of the coffin and scare them!
I love that idea! IT would be great to get that on video

1 - 7 of 7 Posts