Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chicken wire ghost that I want to carry a candle. However, I'd really like to put her on the roof, so I need help figuring out how to wire up one of those battery-powered flickering LED candles so that I don't have to climb up the roof to turn it on. The one I'm using is a long taper that takes 2 AAA batteries and has a twist on-off cap on the bottom.

TIA for any help.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Well two choices. It requires 3VDC so a 3v regulated power supply (wall wart) will work, or connect a long enough wire with a switch that hangs down off the roof where you can reach it. If you go the power supply route, just be sure it's regulated, the ones from RS usually aren't.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Remove the battery pack and solder in a new section of wire long enough so the batteries are somewhere accesable. Speaker cable should work. Then just put in and take out batteries when you need to.

·
Registered
328 Posts
How long is your display up? I have a couple of things on the roof that like you, I don't want to go back up to turn on and off. Like mentioned above, you can run some wire to where you can get to a battery pack, or simply connect larger capacity batteries. Replace the AAA batteries with D cells and just let them run. Run a short wire from the battery terminals to a place where you can store the batteries.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Costco has a 7 pack (different sizes) with remote for $25. The remote has buttons on it to have the candles turn on (automatically) at the same time each night and remain on for either 5 or 10 ours. When I was using these candles having them come on at 5 hours each night, the batteries lasted for 3 months or so. They do come with good quality Duracell batteries. One you hit the button at the time you want them to come on each night, you won't have to touch them for months until the batteries finally do quit. (2 x AA).

·
Blue Pill? or Red Pill?
4,162 Posts
Costco has a 7 pack (different sizes) with remote for $25. The remote has buttons on it to have the candles turn on (automatically) at the same time each night and remain on for either 5 or 10 ours. When I was using these candles having them come on at 5 hours each night, the batteries lasted for 3 months or so. They do come with good quality Duracell batteries. One you hit the button at the time you want them to come on each night, you won't have to touch them for months until the batteries finally do quit. (2 x AA).
Exactly! I don't even buy candles anymore that don't have a timer

1 - 9 of 9 Posts