Halloween Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Foggy.....OMG...I'm so happy to have caught up with you. I been in touch with Dave but I have not visited the board here very much because I have been so very sick. We all must get in touch....I left the stuff, pictures & all on my website in hopes we could start the group again. Today was a horrible day for me, we are not putting our haunt up this year.....I am so upset I can't even come here to the Forum. In all my sick days this forum kept me going. I still am sitting on all these materials & have bought so much stuff in the last 3 years. The last couple of years we have had crowds of over 600 but we've begged for help but no one will help. Jerry is coming up on 73,Joe is our disabled Veteran & can't do anything & my illness has just gotten out of hand. This is killing me......weeks ago a lady wrote on here about having cancer & what she is going through by not being able to celebrate Halloween in her style. OMG...I think I cried for 3 days after reading that & I read it to everyone in my house. Sometimes people don't understand how much Halloween is a part of some of our lives. Foggy...the good news....I finally found a doctor after 12 years of looking who thinks he may be able to cure me. We been together a year & even tho I'm moving along the pain issues are straight from hell, nothing helps it. But we are still plugging forward. Gosh I miss seeing all of you from our group. I still have all the pictures I took at your house that day. How about we get through Xmas & try to get together & figure if we can start the group again.. I'm sure I can get Dave to ride along with us to come see you & talk. I wish you well and heed my advice I always gave you. There will come a day when you can't do "IT" anymore......so do it all now Every Halloween. Hugs The Muffster
PS I did manage to get the web site fixed up, been working on it since august stop in after Halloween & have a look. its still under construction & its like thet RED ROSE house that kept growing!!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Raleigh area reporting in

Raleigh area here. Wasn't there, at one time, a Home Haunter's Association based in Greensboro, NC? Supposed to be run by a very nice guy named... Kevin? Where they'd have Make and Take prop events? Someone alerted me that there's a Facebook NC Haunters group, but I'm not a FB guy. Nothing against it--just way too time consuming. FB + Home Haunting would really make for a Time Sink Abyss of Epic Proportions. :) So I prefer HF for now. But anyway, I might be interested in some point getting involved with an NC-based haunters group.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,435 Posts
Yea, Mike. Kevin was a member of our NC Haunters group (while it lasted). Real nice guy. I think he actually lives in Jamestown, outside Greensboro.

He runs a web site called Home Haunters Association. I'm a member, but it's been so long I totally forgot about it until you mentioned it. I assume it's still a valid web site.

I'm not on Facebook either.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Yea, Mike. Kevin was a member of our NC Haunters group (while it lasted). Real nice guy. I think he actually lives in Jamestown, outside Greensboro.

He runs a web site called Home Haunters Association. I'm a member, but it's been so long I totally forgot about it until you mentioned it. I assume it's still a valid web site.

I'm not on Facebook either.
Thanks Dave. It would be fun to have a get together at some point. Personally, I'm interested in starting-up some sort of semi-pro Charity haunt in my area. Possibly to benefit a local Fire Dept, EMS, County or Town PD, or any other local cause in need. Thought it might be interesting to solicit local Fire Depts because, hey, they'd be able to certify / help with ensuring all is up to code. That way, I could learn more build skills, meet new people who share the same interests in my area, extend my Halloween hobby all throughout the year--takes a good part of a year to organized a Charity haunt I'd imagine, and do good by helping others in need.

Also can show we Haunters have Heart. I noticed my local Spirit Halloween was accepting donations for Duke Hospital Children's Burn Unit, I think. I made a small contribution and thought it was cool that they'd tied-in with a local good cause.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I can def try to remember to post anything that's going on in the RTP area here, then.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,435 Posts
I hope you can get a charity haunt started, Mike! With all of the neat ideas you come up with, it would definitely be something to see.

Yea, maybe someday we can all meet up somewhere. I think Raleigh is about two hours drive from me.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I hope you can get a charity haunt started, Mike! With all of the neat ideas you come up with, it would definitely be something to see.

Yea, maybe someday we can all meet up somewhere. I think Raleigh is about two hours drive from me.
Thanks Dave, appreciate it! :) Unsure about Concord; but Charlotte itself is roughly a 3 hour drive from Raleigh. There's always the train from Charlotte to Raleigh and vice-versa. Never tried it, but love trains.

And I'd be going for a non-gore haunt. Something more suitable for kids, ala Haunted Mansion style. At least that's my preference. But for Charity, the goal would be to raise as much money for that charity as possible. So I'm open to anything. I have fond memories of attending a Charity haunt each year, as a kid, in New England that was more about atmosphere and effects. Something I'll have to jump on after this Halloween. My wife now works for Wake County, so I'll follow-up through her connections for potential haunt-takers. A meet-up of NC Haunters would be great. Greensboro's often a good central point for that sort of thing; although a hardship for those on the coast.

I wish we had our own conveniently located annual haunt convention. Or at least that DragonCon in Atlanta would make a Home Haunting track. Had planned to go to DragonCon this year, but that fell through. Some say there's a minimal amount of haunt-related stuff in the Costuming track. But I'm all about the lighting, atmosphere, props, and special effects--or more correctly speaking, Practical Effects, I think.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Dave....reading this put a big smile on my face!

Yes Kevin was part of our North Carolina Haunters group. For those of you interested If you click on to my website below on the bottom of the 2nd page you will find links to let you have a look at the "Make & Takes" we had. The link is on every page of my web site "North Carolina Haunters Group". I started that group after looking & following Deanna>>.Ghostess of the website "Dead End". Her group was Florida Haunters, they got together frequently & built neat projects. Getting together was so much fun.

Froggy, still waiting to hear from you>>>>>where are you hanging out?

the Muffster

·
Funeral Crasher
7,435 Posts
Sounds great, Mike. I'm all for the "no-gore" haunt too. I like spooky and creepy. Not gory.

Muffy, those get-togethers we had (however few) were a lot of fun. I've got fond memories of those.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I can def try to remember to post anything that's going on in the RTP area here, then.
Thanks CinemaFreak, please do.

As far as pro for-profit Haunts in the area, I think Clayton Fear Farm may be out of business. Something about the owner being ill. Wonder if something could be negotiated for 2015 to do a Charity Haunt; or with a large % of the profits going to Charity. On the other hand, I think working with a local EMS / Fire Dept / Police Dept; perhaps with the profits split equally between the hosting organization and, say, a Children's Hospital--or some other similarly good cause, might be more feasible. Perhaps some of us locals could form an informal committee of sorts to get this going.

I've wanted to do charitable work "forever" but never gotten around to it. And as a State of NC employee, I actually even get up to 24 hours of paid time off per year (three 8-hour days, or could be split up in one hour chunks here and there). Never used it and always feel guilty. Has to be something that helps the local community to qualify and be non-religious / non-political (which suits me fine as I'm neither). :)

·
Registered
1,623 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hendersonville here. Don't forget about us up here in the Mountains!

I put out a donation box this year to benefit the school that I work at. We received almost $200 in us currency and $100 in Jamaican (???) (about $ 0.83). I Had hoped for more but the weather was bad and my numbers were down. I'll do it again next year and see how it goes.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Hendersonville here. Don't forget about us up here in the Mountains!

I put out a donation box this year to benefit the school that I work at. We received almost $200 in us currency and $100 in Jamaican (???) (about $ 0.83). I Had hoped for more but the weather was bad and my numbers were down. I'll do it again next year and see how it goes.
Hey, I love Hendersonville. My body's in the flatlands but my heart's still in the mountains. Have done some consulting work for Henderson County when I used to work out of the Banner Elk / Boone area. Not a bad take for just putting out a donation box. Guess someone took a honeymoon trip and/or cruise to Jamaica and had some spare currency? :)

21 - 35 of 35 Posts