Halloween Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi , can someone help me identify the name of this electronic part that the red arrow is pointing to and what size it is by the 104 marked on the tan button and also what does it do exactly on this 6V motor from one of my props. The motor is suppose to turn the spindle a certain degree and then reverse and bring it back for a stabbing motion ,but now it just spins constantly in one direction. I think this may have something to do with it and need to replace anyway since this one is broken off on the one side. Ornament Auto part Circle Fashion accessory Wire
Ornament Auto part Circle Fashion accessory Wire

Attachments

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a .1uf capacitor and it has absolutely nothing to do with reversing the motor. It's there for electrical noise suppression.
thank you ! And I believe it's actually a 6V motor , not a 9V since the prop runs off of 4 AA batteries. So what do I need to look for to uncover the root cause of the motor not reversing mid way to create the stabbing arm motion ?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again , I will gently delve into it a little at a time to see if it's something simple out of whack that I can tinker with. The direction of the motor changes when I switch polarity on the test battery so the gears seem to move freely both ways without being jammed. I will still take a look inside the gear box tomorrow. Maybe there's a switch inside that is suppose to trip when it reaches a certain point.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One thing I may have going for me is that there is another prop by the same manufacturer that is a much cheaper prop worth wise than the one I'm repairing , with the same stabbing arm motion from around the same time period that I may buy this week from someone , that I can hopefully just swap out the motors and easily reconnect and if problem lies within the motor then it's an easy fix . If it still only rotates one direction then I'll know the problem lies on the circuit board end further into the prop . Another thing I have going is I know someone at a university who is going to pull a favor for me and have someone recreate the broken arm joint at one of the tech labs from a slab of cast aluminum die cut on a high tech parts making machine.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If the motor runs, that's not your problem. The motor itself does not reverse direction. Your problem is somewhere else.
Thanks for helping me deduct that and move on to elsewhere to see what may be out of whack. Not too many electronic parts in these Morbid props compared to the old Gemmy ones so not a whole lot to look over but Morbid uses hot glue to hold the wiring in place and is very generous with it so makes it so much more difficult to spot a small wire that may have twisted off the contact.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just curious, if the motor is running, does the arm move in one direction and then stop? What happens when the arm can't move any further, does the motor stall?
When I got the prop last week the arm was broken off at he joint where it rotates back and forth. Either from only rotating one direction then snapping when it wouldn't go I further from the stress or from someone picking it up by the arm and breaking it that way. While trying to find a replacement arm joint or have a duplicate arm joint made , I decided to test out the motor and that's when I realized it wasn't rotating back and forth at intervals. I tested it both thru the props power hooked up like it should be and also by itself on a battery to check the polarity. Here's a picture of the motor and arm joints. It looks like it has a plastic arc to prevent it from going all the way up and down . Auto part Engine Automotive engine part Tool accessory

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
With this latest info I would say you need to try and get that arm linkage fixed and run the prop. There's a good chance that the reason the motor keeps running in the same direction is due to no load. It's very possible that the circuit board is designed to reverse the motor polarity when it draws too much current from being stalled, That part didn't break from the motor not reversing, those motors don't have that much force.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That is really good info to know. Awesome ! Hopefully I can get a cloned arm joint by week's end and be able to give it a test run. I'm leaning towards forceful/careless handling snapped the arm joint because one of the motor mounts was snapped off and I reattached it w gorilla glue. This prop is my all number one on my wish list to obtain and I got it for a great price due to the condition so I will be stoked if this repair solves the problem and get him going like he should.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.