Halloween Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this year I am decorating 2 yards. Mine and my neighbors. Still have some more things to put out and set up, but they are starting to come together. I didn't realize how difficult it was going to be to decorate 2 yards and next year I plan on decorating 3. I must be mad, totally out of my mind mad. But I want to make our neighborhood the place for the TOTs to come back to so if I have to I will decorate every yard on the block. LOL!! Got so many ideas rolling around in this mad brain of mine and not enough yard space to put it all so as long as the neighbors let me and my storage space will handle it I will keep spreading my creations around. Anyways here is what is out so far in both yards. Still have to set up my witches, those are the last of the really big items, and the FCG, then it's down to the small stuff, some of which I won't be able to put out until closer to Halloween or on Halloween itself due to weather concerns.

DSCF2706 - Copy.JPG DSCF2707 - Copy.JPG DSCF2708 - Copy.JPG DSCF2709 - Copy.JPG DSCF2710 - Copy.JPG DSCF2711 - Copy.JPG DSCF2717 - Copy.JPG DSCF2718 - Copy.JPG DSCF2719 - Copy.JPG DSCF2720 - Copy.JPG

More pics. in comments.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I should say what I still have to put out or have planned for various areas.

The area with the stockade and gallow with the caged skellies, I still need to put fake fruit, pumpkins, gourds, corn, eggs and skulls into the crates. I made it so the stockade is a photo opportunity for parents to get pics. of their kids in the stockade. I made some steps (sitting under the stockade) for the little ones to stand on so they can get a better position to be in the stockade.

The flower bed area with the scarecrow and the skellie sitting on a straw-bale will be my pumpkin patch. I made pumpkin vines that will get spread around in the flower bed along with some Dollar Tree pumpkins. I'll also have a 36" skellie standing in the patch like he is trying to pick a pumpkin. The empty spot on the straw-bale is another photo opportunity to get a pic. with the skellie. He will be holding a large fake pumpkin that I made and there will be another big pumpkin that I made for the kiddos to hold onto for the pics. There will also be a couple of JOLs placed near by.

The area with the cauldron is where my witches will go. I will have a homemade sort of Shepherd's Hook that I will hang 2 JOLs from near by. I will also be tying some of my dead sunflowers to the fence behind them.

I will be putting a skellie dog near the Red Devil as well as more JOLs. Just right of the Red Devil is my front door and I will have another skellie dog and my ghost girl I got from Home Depot standing near the stoop.

I have few more spiders to add in the spider area and an egg sack will be hanging from the lamp post. I will also add a bit more cobwebbing to the area.

The spooky forest area is pretty much done other than a few more JOLs.

I will add a few more cobwebs here and there through out the yard, but not a ton like over in the spider area.

As for the neighbor's yard I just have the FCG to add in the mausoleum and strew a few skulls and bones near some of the graves. If I manage to get my hands on a couple more skellies before Halloween I may put them by the mausoleum just out of sight of the watchman and make them look like they are digging a grave.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If anyone can think of some other simple, easy and inexpensive ideas to add to an area please let me know.

·
Registered
208 Posts
If anyone can think of some other simple, easy and inexpensive ideas to add to an area please let me know.
I would like to see the cemetery looking a little spookier. Do you have another ghost figure who could be on the same side as the mausoleum but more towards the street? Just thinking, alternatively if you have any way to peg some skeleton parts in the ground so they stick up above the leaves that would be good.

This is a very impressive pair of yards. Having the photo-op area is an awesome idea, I wish I had done that (maybe next year).

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would like to see the cemetery looking a little spookier. Do you have another ghost figure who could be on the same side as the mausoleum but more towards the street? Just thinking, alternatively if you have any way to peg some skeleton parts in the ground so they stick up above the leaves that would be good.

This is a very impressive pair of yards. Having the photo-op area is an awesome idea, I wish I had done that (maybe next year).
I was thinking the cemetery was looking a bit bare and needed a little more spook to it. I do have one of those ground breaker things where it looks like the head, the hands and the feet are coming out of the ground that I will be putting over there, as well as some other bones and skulls. I like the idea of another ghost and may see if I can make another packing tape ghost to put over there. I bet I could get the little gal next door to be my body form again. Folks seem to really like the girl ghost I have in my yard next to the spooky trees and I do have one more blue fire and ice light that I can put under her so she glows. I was thinking of using blue floods to light the cemetery, but I may go with a green instead being that the mausoleum will have a UV light shining on it to make the FCG glow. I am going to put either a yellow or a warm white light spot on the watchman and was thinking a yellow flood on the side of the mausoleum close to the road.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Simple, easy, inexpensive - and also tongue-in-cheek.....stuff some old clothes with newspaper or plastic dropcloths to make a human figure, lay it on the ground and park a lawn mower on it.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree the trees are awesome! You made them? I'm guessing a light inside them?
Looks good all around. Big undertaking to do both yards!
Thank-you. Yeah I made the trees. I have red lights inside of them so at night the eyes and mouth glows red. Most of my builds this year focused more on the neighbor's yard. I would have loved to have made some tombstone poppers, and some coffins and such, but this year was just nuts and I wasn't able to work on things as much as I would have liked. So it will be a work in progress. Something that I can add to every year.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree about the spider, that's excellent. I would stagger the tombstones around, make the spacing and locations look more random. But that's nit-picking, it's a great effort all around!
Thank-you. I was trying to emulate our local cemetery that is just a few blocks away from me with how they have all the graves in rows. But I may move a few of them around. Maybe put the husband and wife tombstones closer together. I had a second set of husband and wife stones, but one of them got broken and I have not had time to fix it yet. If I get it fixed and out this year great, if not it's not going to affect anything.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I started to put lights out. Now I am trying to work out the right positioning, and deciding if I like some of the colors I am using, or if I need to add more. Not really happy with the blue lights I had shining on the cemetery so I am switching them out for green instead. I had one green flood to replace one of the blue floods so I will need at least one more, but thinking I may add a third one. Not really liking the red fire and ice light on the red devil. I may use the blue floods to shine on the spooky forest instead of the lights I have shining now. Trying to decide if the green is working for the witches or not. It's all trial and error.

I am really loving how the FCG came out and how she glows under the black light. I'm also loving the packing tape ghosts and the Gallow/Stockade area.

My camera sucks at taking night time pics. But here is what I have so far.

More pics. below.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts