Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Blue Pill? or Red Pill?
4,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most important step: make sure when you faux paint the grain of the cardboard goes vertical, so it will look more like wood grain. I had to toss my second barrel out because I didnt realize this and it looked "odd". Keep this in mind when you cut the cardboard. So sorry for pics sideways not sure why iphone does this.

Step one: Cut and measure how tall wide you want it.
photo copy.jpg

Step 2 : Curl up a bit to soften, so later on you can put pressure on it to make bow out.

photo.jpg

Step 3: Paint - I used browns, black and some off white for the "holes"

photo copy 2.jpg

Step 4: I took a utility knife and lightly cut it down to make it look like "boards", (dont cut all the way thru!!) and really dug in the black
photo.jpg

Step 5: Wrap around a round trash can on inside and duct tape.
photo copy.jpg

Step 6: cut with utility knife halfway down top and the bottom as shown. Then with duct tape you taping one on top of another slightly to give it barrel shape top and bottom. Add more duct tape to "create" rings. And you are done.
IMG_0701.jpg
IMG_0703.jpg
IMG_0714.jpg

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Those barrels are great! I may have to try some for this year...unless I happen upon some real ones from a farmer this summer

·
Registered
152 Posts
Great job on those- easier than getting real barrels which cost a fortune... And I like the two-planters-stacked-on-top-of-one-another idea but those are also more $$$ than I wish to spend for "window dressing".

·
Blue Pill? or Red Pill?
4,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks !
I havent really liked the look of the planters except the ones at home depot - but they are $40 for one half x2 =$80. Ouch. And its not the "main show stopper" for the haunt so thats why I am hesistant. Its more of a filler prop to spend $80? Have to think hard about that.
All the cheaper alternatives bow out too much when put together, IMO. So cardboard works for me.....

Great job on those- easier than getting real barrels which cost a fortune... And I like the two-planters-stacked-on-top-of-one-another idea but those are also more $$$ than I wish to spend for "window dressing".

·
Registered
409 Posts
Those are great! It's the one prop I have struggled with this year, and all my attempts have looked rubbish, just couldn't get the shape right and the pirates were going to end up a sober crew with no barrels of rum!,:( but you have inspired me and I am going to try again and hope they turn out as good as yours:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts