Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I started this project and have put about 30 hours into this project in total. It will be a cow skull grim reaper/wraith with horns at 13'. At this moment I have hinges scored and drill on sheet metal, just have to cut and bend them. I believe I have a method to create more realistic neck movement. Because when something moves its neck it kinda swings instead of rotate. I have my skull in putty and filler stage. A back pack with mounts for the backbone of this beast, and lastly my backbone. I truly didnt want to leave a cliff hanger, but I will have pics in an hour. I will also have some concept art up with the pics of progress.

edit- pics are up
paper mache stage

My back pack, salvaged parts from old ones from the basement

My back bone mounting plate, adjustability is awesome

Yay! more putty and filler

Good night, and good fright

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This will be an unofficial how-to, it will have lots of pics and I will draw diagrams to help anybody thinking of building a stalkabout. If you have any mechanical issues with any prop, just shoot me a PM. I am majoring in Mechanical Engineer and enjoying helping with projects and ideas.

p.s. ignore the welds, I haven't welded in over a year.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update:
backbone mounted

Mount, can be adjusted for height

·
Registered
708 Posts
Looks great so far, I am starting a stalkabout also. I will continue to follow your progress and probably borrow (steal) some of your ideas!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hinge system- 3 axis points

Hinges and dual axis link-

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hinges-

Up down hinge assembly-

Start of the helmet assembly-

Should have head mounted sometime, gotta make a trip to lowes for all-thread rod.

·
that dude ain't right
619 Posts
Major fault in my stalkabout...bike helmet. They don't sit on your head that well. Don't get me wrong, yours may work. But I hate mine. That thing is going to be huge and heavy. I love it. But you may want to look into a different head set.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think most people dont size helmets correctly, this used to be my old MTB brain bucket. So it fits very snug and wont move even doing a head stand. I've heard it else where before I started, but I think I can over come the problem.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
More pics, this will be a slow project from now till halloween. School is already taking up a good chunk of my evenings. I had an idea that my head was too far back, and shoulders for that matter. If I continued you would see the person inside the suit pressed up against the drapes or robe. Now I want a ghostly figure floating kind of look, so you wont see my legs. Here is my solution-

Make three relief cuts with the hack saw

Then pull it towards you and weld to get this

Which results into the end product of this

The skull is getting another coat of putty and bondo, then I will seal it using poly-acrylic. Lastly, I will airbrush it with matt coloring.

Does anyone know where to get lots of cheese cloth, like a website or something

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Due to school and weightlifting lately I haven't had the drive and time to work on my baby. However I still want to make this thing worthwhile on the big night. So I spent some time figuring out how to simplify the neck, in the end I made the head static. I have enough kinetic energy to move the head and neck from some nifty body moves I found. I am to the point of getting around 4-5 yards of cheese cloth and about 7 yards of black or 3 black sheets. Here is a pic of what I got right now- Also I tried my hand at using my airbrush on a prop, I used whit base and brown highlighting.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts