Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Awhile ago I came across a photo of some pumpkins that had been carved from the bottom instead of the top and was lit from within with some pumpkin guts hanging down. Turns out they were done by one of the moderators on this site named UnOrthoDox. I loved the look and have decided to make a few of these for our haunt this year. Kudos to Unorthodox for the idea!

Here is what it looks like in the light:
Snap2.jpg

I used a Funkin because I like the thicker "walls" of the pumpkin. I toned down the ridiculous bright orange color by applying a dark wood stain and then immediately wiping most of it off leaving more of the stain in the cracks. I used a PVC "tee" joint held on using zip-ties as a means of mounting it on a pvc pipe.
IMG_1023.JPG

I used a "weatherproof" lightbulb socket from HD and a red LED bulb. I also used pieces of diffusing acrylic sheet from www.inventables.com over the eye holes so you can't see into the pumpkin. I made fake pumpkin guts using liquid latex and elmers orange glitter glue and then hot-glued actual pumpkin seeds on after the latex was dry. I then hot-glued the guts to a piece of pvc pipe for easy mounting inside the pumpkin also using zip-ties.
IMG_1024.JPG

Close up of the guts.
Snap3.jpg

And here it is in the dark. I am very happy with how it turned out. Love the guts hanging down lit from above but I think for the next one I will use longer pieces of guts. You can never have enough guts.
IMG_1021.jpg

·
Registered
127 Posts
What a clever idea! And that looks brilliant, I agree on having longer guts but that's still fine as it is... I'm feeling inspired...!

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,702 Posts
Looks really good!!

I do love UnOrthoDox's creations.
He's got such a unique, organic style - elegantly gruesome. :D

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all for the kind comments. Here is the last one that I did - way more guts and the guts are longer. Definitely more guts = better. The picture does not capture how good it looks because their is so much light reflecting off the bench. When it is outside it will be ~4'-5' feet off the ground and the mounting pole will be painted black so you won't see it.
LastOne.jpg

·
Registered
41 Posts
Very creative! That thing looks really ominous! Is it difficult to wire up the exterior weatherproof socket? Again, very nice work.

·
Registered
868 Posts
A very nice job on adding your own touches to the original ideas posted by UnOrthodOx. He does such fun stuff, and yours is certainly worth a second look. I'm sure your trick or treaters will be thrilled. One thing I've noticed, is this year a few of the retail merchants are also experimenting with pumpkins carved in unusual ways. I have said it before, Haunters are the cutting edge of everything Halloween. If you're walking through any big box retail Halloween store looking for ideas, you're just looking at props created years ago by Haunters now being made in some country that probably doesn't even celebrate the night. I'm glad the stores have props for those who want to celebrate the night but need a bit of help. I just think the unsung heroes of their business model are cruising around this site showing off what their latest, cleverest prop is. For all of you, kudos and thanks. :)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Unfortunately we did not take any photos (too worn out) but here are some screen-grabs from a video that my better half did on Halloween night.

Mine2.jpg
Mine4.jpg
Mine6.jpg

and if you want to watch the walk-through video here it is. Unfortunately it was raining and ridiculously windy on Halloween so the fog maker was worthless.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Unorthodox - yes I used the flame LEDs in the torches which was a good thing as they would certainly be blown out by the wind if they were real flames. I also used the flame LEDs in the large skulls on either side of the door and also in one of the Unorthodox pumpkins. I think they are still fakey looking if you are able to actually see the “flame” but if you can hide it in a pumpkin or diffuse the light like I did with the torches then they do add a nice dynamic. Also I would never use open flame close to where TOTs would be walking for fear of a costume catching on fire so they add some peace of mind as well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts