Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to try and replicate some of the Disney tombstones. Here's my first try with "Brother Dave"

Here's the original.

I printed out the graphic from web of the top dove and branches, then did my best to replicate the typeface/spacing/kerning.

dave 1.jpg

Once I printed everything out, I put carbon paper (from OfficeMax) under it, taped it down and went over the designs with a sharp pencil. After it came through I re-outlined it all in permanent marker and used my dremel to route it all out.

dave 2.jpg

dave 3.jpg

dave 4.jpg

dave 4.jpg

These two are post-drylok. I included the last one for the detail.

dave 6.jpg

dave 6.1.jpg

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Carbon paper! *slaps forehead* I've made 20-30 tombstones and never once thought about using carbon paper to transfer the text instead painfully cutting out all the letters stencil-style or cutting through the paper and foam at the same time with an exacto knife.

Tombstone looks great btw!
I really must admit that I've seen someone mention carbon paper on the forum before, so it's not my brainstorm. I will, however, take partial credit for the next tombstone you do with carbon paper.

My daughter is designing one this year, so she'll print everything, cut it out and do the carbon transfer herself so "labor-dad" can take over. I might make her drylok it, though.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll put up another pic after I put it out. It's been raining for days here, so they're still in my garage.

I finished blacking the design, drilled out holes and glued/inserted two dowels. Should be good to go.

20151028_220123.jpg

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts