Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing so many posts showing off their candle clusters, I knew this was a way for me to use some of the leftover PVC from other projects

First, I cut to the candle lengths I wanted.

Then I painted the inside with a bright yellow and the outside with an heirloom white. It made a bit of a mess when I heated them up to shape them into 'melting' candles, but I think it was the best approach as I would not have been able to get into some of the recesses afterward. However, I did have to touch up a bit after forming them. I then placed them on the tray for arrangement.

I got the tray from a store called Five Below. A total of two trays were used for this project. The two undersides were hot glued together to create a base under which all wiring could be hidden. Once I was happy with the layout, I marked where the candles went and numbered both the spots and the candles (on the inside at the bottom).

I used a soldering iron to melt holes in the center of the markings on the trays for the wires to pass through. The trays are to brittle for a drill. Once this was done, I painted the trays metallic silver.

Since I was planning to use a 12v Power supply for this prop, I used a 5.5mm x 2.1mm DC Jack for power input and added a simple on/off switch. These jacks were a bit expensive at 5 for $4.92, but I was on a time crunch. I ordered another 10 for $2.24 from another vendor that will take a few weeks to get here.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HR81YJY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The LEDs I used came from Lighthouse and sold by Amazon. I got 50 for about $12. They're the Ultra Bright Gold/Yellow Flicker LEDs

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017TR7EOQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then I was able to get 100 510ohm resistors for about $6.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0185FGTMY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Solder the resistor the the long LED lead (+) and then solder wire pigtails to the LED assembly. I used red/black 12v wire for this.

Melt a piece of heat shrink tubing over the solder connections and any bare wire/leads. Do this x23 and then install into the candles. I have 17 candles, 3 of which are 4 inch PVC, so I placed 3 LEDs into these and 1 into the rest. To install, I used hot glue. Once this tedious step was done, I threaded the wire through the holes and attached the 'candles' to the platter using hot glue.

I connected all the negative (black wires) together and all the positive (red wires) together and wired up the DC Jack and switch.

I had a small skull and he fit perfectly on the tray, so that's his new home.

Voila!

And if I did it right, here's, the video!

Let me know what you think!

·
Registered
96 Posts
The candles look fantastic! Awesome job. Really like the way they appear to glow.

If I may.............and before I do, please keep in mind that I hold no advance degree and can usually be found half-asleep on my recliner.............but, my only tiny quiver is the skull. Once you bring him/her into the equation, you are now force to put a couple of red LEDs in the eyes. It is my internet expert opinion that two additional LEDs would enhance the ambiance.

Lovely Day...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I understand what you mean, but I do not anticipate the need to light up the skull. To add to the ambiance, I think I will point some flickering LED spotlights at the scene to give it more of a room-lighting glow and have the skull as an artifact instead of drawing your eyes directly to it. Especially since this will be used in a walk-through Haunted Big Top.

Great suggestion, though!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Nice job. I have made 3 small clusters for my tombstones in the yard. Your part list is exactly what I used down to the manufacture. Did you use saddle tan to age the candles? Stiltbeast has a youtube tutorial on it that worked great for me. I would leave the skull alone, the candle flicker is enough personally.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts