Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Funeral Crasher
7,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A writer from "Make" magazine contacted me in early October wanting to do a story on my Swinging Skeleton. I guess she saw the tutorial I recently posted here on the forum. It's a digital/print magazine that highlights various projects and the people who make them.
I answered a few questions she had and sent her some additional information for the story. It's kind of short, with more pics than text, but I thought it turned out pretty good.
It feels nice to be recognized for something I built. Even though this prop is about 8 years old now.

LINK:

http://makezine.com/2015/10/29/spooky-swinging-skeleton/

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
Hey, that's cool news DaveintheGrave! I actually don't remember seeing your swinging skeleton so even appreciate the heads up on the Tutorial. It's nice to see members here get recognition. The swing video looks great. Very impressive. Love the idea but don't know if the sole bradford pear tree we have in our front yard would ever be able to accommodate a rig like that. The trees aren't typically very open branched but more cluster branched and vertical. Now if I get to do my whole yard walk-thru haunt, I could see hanging that from our dining pergola beams in the backyard--Would be part of my Haunted Carnival trapeze act I'm thinking! :D Like!

Don't know about you but I think it would be great to have a hard copy of the magazine. Nice for your kids to have later to show their kids. I have occasionally seen MAKE (in a bookstore...maybe Barnes and Nobel...or maybe in Fry's Electronics' magazine area) but they aren't easy to get unless you subscribe or access digitally. Too bad. I wonder if Radio Shack carries any copies.

Did they send you a copy?

·
Going bump in the night..
3,389 Posts
Nice! I subscribe to Make - lots of great info and ideas.

They usually pick up on people doing high quality work, so I'd say it's one hell of a compliment to get in there.

Way to go!

·
Here to burgle your turts
2,305 Posts
We knew you when! Congratulations! That's huge! Great piece!

You're such a huge help to everyone here it's great to see you getting this kind of recognition.

They did a full-on Halloween issue a few years back that was awesome (I think it's still available as a download for purchase from their website.)

·
Funeral Crasher
7,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey, that's cool news DaveintheGrave! I actually don't remember seeing your swinging skeleton so even appreciate the heads up on the Tutorial. It's nice to see members here get recognition. The swing video looks great. Very impressive. Love the idea but don't know if the sole bradford pear tree we have in our front yard would ever be able to accommodate a rig like that. The trees aren't typically very open branched but more cluster branched and vertical. Now if I get to do my whole yard walk-thru haunt, I could see hanging that from our dining pergola beams in the backyard--Would be part of my Haunted Carnival trapeze act I'm thinking! :D Like!

Don't know about you but I think it would be great to have a hard copy of the magazine. Nice for your kids to have later to show their kids. I have occasionally seen MAKE (in a bookstore...maybe Barnes and Nobel...or maybe in Fry's Electronics' magazine area) but they aren't easy to get unless you subscribe or access digitally. Too bad. I wonder if Radio Shack carries any copies.

Did they send you a copy?
Thanks a lot, Spookie! I did ask the writer where I could buy a hard copy of the magazine, but she told me this one is a special holiday edition, so it will only be in digital form. Oh, well.
As far as building one----I had a guy contacting me throughout October who was attempting to duplicate my swing and he had the same problem. No tree in the yard that would support the swing. He ended up making an "A" frame for it out of PVC and got it to work pretty good, but it still needs some tweaking here and there to get it swinging better.
So maybe you could do the same thing. Or your pergola beam might work when you do the Haunted Carnival. Sounds like a great theme.

We knew you when! Congratulations! That's huge! Great piece!

You're such a huge help to everyone here it's great to see you getting this kind of recognition.

They did a full-on Halloween issue a few years back that was awesome (I think it's still available as a download for purchase from their website.)
Thanks a lot, Gobby. And thanks for the info. on the Halloween issue. It's nice to get recognition, but I don't think it will make me famous. LOL
I just try to help other members whenever possible, just like they've helped me.
I'm ashamed to say I had never heard of the magazine before the writer contacted me. It seems very interesting, though. Reminds me of the "Instructables" website.

Love this and was wondering if a deer motor would work. I have the skeleton and extra deer motor and looks like a great project for next year next year.
I really don't think a deer motor would work. The prop needs a motor with faster RPMs to get it to swing properly. I put a link in the tutorial to the same motor I used in mine. It runs $10 to $15 and spins at about 23 RPM.

Congratulations! May have to borrow this for my penguins in a swing for Xmas.
Good idea, hoghunter! (I'm EnlightenedGrinch on the Christmas forum.) I haven't come up with a good use for mine as a Christmas prop. (Yet.)

What kind of skeleton did you use? That is very cool!
Thanks, Ish! It's the typical 36 inch skeleton you find everywhere. I just got this one on sale from BuyCostumes for around $10. I had to replace the old swing skeleton this year, since he was getting brittle and falling apart after 8 Octobers hanging out in the elements. RIP. :)

·
Typing Away
3,700 Posts
Thanks for the input DaveintheGrave on the motor. I saw the link to the motor you posted and will be ordering one soon (first make sure I have a good limb to place it on.)
Next question:
Your ac to 12 vdc adaptor where did you get it and what size ( I see they come in different amps).
Thanks again

·
Funeral Crasher
7,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I used to get them form Electronic Goldmine, but sometimes they are out of stock on them.
Mine is just a 12 volt DC, 500 milliamp converter. So any converter at that amperage or more should do the job.

Probably some on E-bay. Or maybe try AllElectronics. I think they carry the same motor, too.

(Actually , I noticed when taking down my swing that my power converter is only 12 volt DC, 200 milliamp.)

·
Funeral Crasher
7,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
'I knew you when' too! :D
Fantastic! I take all the credit of course. For hounding you for a tutorial. hahahaha

Magnificent!! Well deserved recognition. You rock.
Thanks a lot, Hilda! You're right---you did hound me. I still don't know why I wrote it up, but then sat on it for so long before posting it. Maybe the timing wasn't right. :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts