Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks! I'm brand new around here, but very much a kindred spirit when it comes to haunting it up this time of year. I've been so amazed and inspired by some of the tips, techniques and displays I've been seeing around here, I wish I'd stumbled upon this place ages ago!

On to the subject... I recently completed a pirate display to welcome guests as they arrive to our annual Halloween party. Like many of you here, I'm a huge nut for the old school Disney park rides like POTC and Haunted Mansion, so naturally I wanted something that looked like it popped right out of the ride and onto my porch.

So here's my attempt at being a Disney Imagineer (with a bit of background info)

Pirate--- Bucky skeleton base. Stretched pantyhose over the whole thing, and coated it with a thick layer of liquid latex. Then colored with wood stain, and some hair applied.

Costume--- My own Halloween costume from last year! I buried it in the back yard a couple months ago to let it naturally rot and decay, it worked great (almost TOO great, the clothes are falling apart!).

Shackles--- PVC pipe and plastic chain from LOWES, painted and weathered.

Barrels/crates/rope/etc--- Various booty from antique malls, craigslist, etc, with some personal touches.

Here's the pics!

I ended up repainting the skeleton before setting up the final display. I decided to highlight it with more white to make it "pop" in the dim lighting, and I also liked the lighter color because it was more whimsical (like the park ride) and less gory. I also painted "EXPLOSIVO" on the small barrel on the right and added some rope binding to it.

This was my big project for '08, for '09 I've got my sights set on creating a big pipe organ for the inside of the house, complete with a ghostly organist!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Wow....not only are you an amazing prop-builder, but your artistic eye for lighting, shading, and photography leave me speechless. WELL DONE.

·
Pumpkin w/ BIG stem
895 Posts
wow!!! that is awesome!!! I love your Bucky!!! and the lighting! what kind of camera do you use?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts