Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been a clown the last few years and it's been a blast, but I've been wanting to do a stalkabout for a couple of years.
I bought a giant, lightweight plastic skull for $19.99 today at Walgreens and am getting started.
I have a metal frame military backpack that my mom picked up at a yard sale for me. I'll use pvc for the frame/arms.
I also have a hard hat for head movement.
I'm gonna incorporate a couple of door hinges in the the head movement.
I'll document it and put in on here as I go.
I'm gonna corpse the skull and hands Stiltbeast style with plastic and a heat gun.
I want it to look scarier than your average grim reaper.

10703537_810347055654334_2022968225940079008_n.jpg

*EDIT*
Here's the finished product
10734282_826526140703092_3248305620703976711_n (2).jpg
10353171_826482874040752_2110155593297848724_n.jpg

·
Registered
152 Posts
Great beginning- I've wanted to do something like this from the shadows in my haunt. Will be interested to see what you come up with.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Very cool. I am using the same head for mine. Just going simple this year but will add articulation like you are next year. I am using football shoulder pads since I could not find a back pack frame. I started mine today and only got to the shoulders. I am using the big lawn hands I got from halloween city

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Today is the first real day that I've had to work on it.
After I finally got finished decorating my lawn today, I wrapped the skull with plastic and hit it with the heat gun.
Once I paint it, it should be good and gooey.
I've got plans drawn up and I'm for the next few days.
Tomorrow I'm hitting the hardware store to build the frame.
10678822_818100748212298_3933628380794555763_n.jpg

·
Registered
19 Posts
This is my frame and start of the arm and hand. Got sheets coming in this week so I gotta chicken wire a foam the frame and can add some fabric.

image.jpg

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Holy Damn! That's tall. I have chicken wire also, to help me with the body.
Those horns are baddass. I briefly thought of horns but was not sure how.

Where did you get those hands? I was gonna make mine but those look cool.

·
Registered
19 Posts
They are ultra cheap hands but work. They are for front yards and already have a piece of pipe that mates up to 3/4 PVC.
Got them at halloween city.
The horn are bolted on one side then I used a wood screw to hold them down really good.
I got some glow in the dark paint that I plan to dust all the bone parts with.
I may to a breast plate with ribs if I have the energy

I still have a lot to do for my kids party and this is a small part of our haunt

·
Registered
320 Posts
Looking good! I have one my hit list too. Btw, I picked up the same hands for a great deal at Party City last week for about $12. They are sold as Zombie Lawn Hands and come with stakes to mount in the ground. Can't wait to see the finished product.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here's what I did today. Still got a ways to go.....

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Today I got this crazy idea to not make the standard Grim Reaper robe for my stalkabout, but instead to attach chicken wire to the frame making a body and corsping it. I'm pretty good at corpsing using a heat gun and plastic (aka Stiltbeast method).
I'm not sure if I'm gonna go through with it but I've drew it up. It certainly would look more disgusting and bloody.
Being that it's crunch time, it's an idea that I may have to toy with on down the road.

·
Registered
19 Posts
That is kinda what I am doing. I made ribs from PVC, shoulders from spray foam. I also used the foam for the arms since it gives a nice rotten tendon look. I do a lot of black lights and I tried the glow in the dark spray. It did not work that well. Now I am using a green neon coat and dusting on all the bone parts and skull. Tomorrow I can start adding the paint a fabric on mine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Your build is looking great! One thing I'd like to point out though, is the shoulder straps on your alice frame are on the wrong sides. Swap them over and it should be infinitely more comfortable.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Couple of big changes for me.
I'm having a problem with head movement and it leans forward.
I found a Stalkabout on youtube titled "Rex Mortis".
I really like the way he does the head movement by simply connecting a helmet to the bottom of the skull.
I'm gonna make some 1 foot tall wood stilts and go from there. I've seen some good tutorials on it and I already have the wood here.
I think I'm gonna have more control and be more comfortable
I also have to build the shoulders using the pipe that I have.
Today I cut the bottom of the skull out and bolted in a hard hat that I had. It's really light too.
I also used some old trampoline mesh that I had for the see-through neck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Really like that helmet idea. Mine came in heavier than planned. I did a dry run with out strapping it down just to see if heights are correct and what needs to be tweaked. I will post pictures later but I think I am close to done. I will be in almost total darkness with just black lights so I think it's going to work out fine,

1 - 20 of 40 Posts