Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am going to start on my stalk around soon. and don't know where to start. does anyone have any pictures of the frame? or how the head moves?

thanks in advance

-eric

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
My Pre-Stalk-Around Stalk-around

Built it 22 years ago, still have it. Plywood cut out to go round over my shoulders, then padded so the edge of the plywood doesn't dig into my shoulders.
The manufactured , professional stalker has an axle from the goon's head straight down to hook up to your own head, maybe a little beanie cap and a chin strap? I was just told this I have never seen one.
The heads are now syncronized!
Flat black painted 1/4 steel rods attached to the goon's wrists make arm movement happen, camoflauged by their dark color against a dark backround as seen at night.
I even made crude lifts to make me a foot higher using threaded steel rods holding two 2 by4's apart with some rubber attached on the ground side for a little traction and sheet metal straps over top of my actual work boots , bolted with 1/4 inch nuts and bolts as tight as I could make it, it was a long hike from my house to the parade and back.
I had to practise walking in these first.
Some of my costumes are more torture devices for the person wearing them.

·
Zombie Hunter
20,479 Posts
search for stalkaround or stalkabout,good info there.

·
Bog Body
1,473 Posts
here's the frame for the one i made

here it is bulked up with plastic grocery bag, newspaper, and duct tape.

and finished

the head only moves left and right. a pvc pipe went through the cross in the shoulders and fit into a slot in a bike helmit strapped to my head. i made an s type shape out of 90 degree elbows between the neck and the head. this made a stop before the cross and gave the head a sweeping motion rather than just turning on an axis.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
batfly. nice kittie... i like him.. i like your frame too.. the only thing the i would change is the head movement... i want the head movement to be up,down,left,right and tilt..

·
Zombie Hunter
20,479 Posts
I used the pivot from a camera tripod on mine to get head movement.

·
Registered
60 Posts
If i could only pull my head out of my butt for a min I could show you how the real ones are built. i have a friend that owns a real one " that means shes got more money then sense" She let me take pics of the one she owns and i copied it . the tripod one would save a lot of problems, mine I was able to use a universal joint mounted at the base of the head, what you need to do is make the connections at the front of the helmet and make sure you have a good balance point for it to work, to hard to explain I will get some pics to you, just send me an e-mail and ill send you some. there are some pis of mine on my page. my avitar is also me in it.
Rottin corps

·
Registered
124 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'll throw my hat in the ring on the stalkarounds. Here is one that I made a couple
of years ago that has a $4 camera swivel mount and a two-bar attachment for the head.
I have both turning and nodding action. The linkages aren't hard , it's just finding the right
length for the right range of movement.

It's roughly 8-feet tall

and a video to show the movement:

for more looks at the build got to this link: crawfordforester/Stalkaround - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

any questions just PM or emial me. happy to help.

Indeva's looks to be quite a bit more ruggedly built. That's a bruiser! How heavy?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Here's a smaller stalkaround you might like.* This is the second one I did, a little different from the others. Head is controlled by one of your hands.* Stands a little over 6' tall, not 7-8' like the others:
Here's a video from the haunt:

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
indeva thanks for the pics.. tht probly helped me alot. death wraith, i like yours.. its different then most.

thanks guys

i'm gunna start on this right after i finishe up my hearse i'll post pics

·
Bog Body
1,473 Posts
that IS the hard part! deciding what to make. someone asked if it was heavy? i think mine came out to 8 or 10 pounds. can't remember it was a few years back.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i think i'm going to go with this. my brother bought this last year for the price of 94 dollars... he didn't use it so i asked him if i could use it for my stalk0around and he gave it to me!!

here is a picture... i'm going to go to halloween havoc here in owensboro and get some big hands to match it..

·
Registered
330 Posts
Really kool, how tall was the prop? I would love to make one and scare all those little darlins that trick and treat at my door.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts