Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
finished this up last night.....just one less thing I've gotta get done now!!hehehehe..with a little lighting, I think the mirror lines will dissapear more.

rigo

·
Mistress of Darkness
1,689 Posts
I love that effect at the Ripley's Haunted House in San Antonio!!!! I've always wanted to build one of those.

What mirror lines??????

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I would love to see a tutorial also. I remember a site with a how to but, I'm sure I lost it long ago. Do you guys put a motor in them to make it wiggle? Looks really sickening. That's a good thing. lol

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey, guys....thanks for all the comments.

I didn't take any pictures while I was building this, sorry....but I can give you a verbal how to...and here in a bit, I can get the digi cam....and take some pics of the backside of it...to explain it a little better.

Basically the illusion is based on using 2 mirrors at a right angle to one another. These are mounted a little further in than the center of a box...the key is the sidewalls of the box, MUST be deeper then then depth of the mirrors. This makes the mirrors reflect only the sides of the box.

This illusion works SO well. It really stumps people because there are no reflections other than the side walls, which in turn make the "back" wall of the box.

MY box is made out of MDF....which in of itself makes this thing monsterously heavy. The mirrors are Plexi glass with a mirror tint on the backside...(I have a nephew that works in a tint shop)...all the bolt heads are blue foam board...and the guts are greatstuff foam to hide the mirror seams

above the great stuff/mirrors, there is a piece of 1 inch foam that forms the body....the t-shirt covers this...it also place the "body" foreward of the mirrors, and allows the actor to not have to lean so far foreward.

I use automotive clear coat with a red candy for the blood (i'm an automotive airbrusher/teacher)....it truely stays wet looking for the life of the prop.

I know that was long winded....I'll see if I can get some pics to explain things better

rigo

·
Registered
238 Posts
NICE! If anyone else attempts this, I'd love to see construction photos. I'd like to build something similar with a Bucky spine in lieu of guts! That looks awesome, Rigo!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Two questions:

1. Can this illusion be pulled off without the mirrors? Have the actor behind the wall? I think it would work as long as no one saw the back side (which is the way I would use it). So in other words, build the guts and attach a shirt to put on at the top, but "lean into" the shirt from behind.

2. The only reason I ask is the mirrors seem expensive. $250 or so for each mirror (if you can find two). Or what other sources of mirrors or alternatives would their be? You said tinted plexiglass....but I'm not sure I have a source for that.

Great prop by the way. You've inspired me to perhaps try this next year.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the comments!

luv2cmwork....it really needs the mirrors. It's the mirrors that complete the look of the back wall on the box. If you look at the link that Insanity posted, it's the same illusioin but much smaller mirrors....there are many variations on this trick.

P.S. on the mirror lines, I had a friend who's helping me out on Halloween night come over to look at the box ahead of time....he was completely fooled by it....he said that he didn't even know there were any mirrors in the prop!

rigo

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
usually the actor is in the standing position....I am in mine....the actual side walls of the box are 6 ft tall....and i'm standing on a platform thats a little over a foot tall....the mirrors themselves are 5 ft tall in my box...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts