Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Blaberus craniifer
4,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year we needed something to kind of fence off the areas of the yard that didn't have the PVC fence sections to keep people from walking onto the grass and into the display area. I had a few 3 foot skeletons that I stood up and we wrapped plastic chain around their necks. It was a quick solution and worked well at keeping people out of the display and looked pretty good too, but in the dark it was hard to see the chain or even the skeletons. So this year I decided to buy additional skeletons and modify them all with LEDs. (My original plan was for 24 of them but only managed to get 17 completed by Halloween this year.)

Added a base to the conduit section so that in wet ground it didn't sink in. Also screwed the skeleton to the metal rather then just tie straps. Attached a metal bar on the back along the shoulders and stretched out the arms. Then with a heat gun, bent the fingers around PVC to make into candles. Added a PVC collar to attach the chains to. Put a green superflux LED in the chest, and green straw hat LEDs in the eyes. Then filled the eye socket with hot glue (nice effect for creating eyes). The candles have the candle flicker LEDs in them. Then I wanted to wire them up with an easy connection, so I decided to us a Malibu transformer and the quick connectors, but since it is AC and I needed DC, I had to solder up simple bridge rectifiers on each of them to convert the AC to DC. It was a time consuming project this year, but the end result was worth it as everyone seemed to comment on how much they liked them.

·
1031 Props
1,052 Posts
That looks awesome!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts