Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is something I started last year right after Halloween, but never got back to it. I originally was powering it with a rotisserie motor, but I rebuilt it using a Monster Guts 5 volt set up. That was the only part that I bought for this (well that and his head). Everything else I had laying around. I am running him off of a fog timer and he'll pretty much work all on his own. I basically want him to add a little life to my cemetery. I wanted the whole unit as one package, that was just plug and play. My audio will be coming from a used Cowlacious board I had lying about. I am waiting for his head to come in this week and hopefully he'll be buttoned up by the weekend. As soon as I finish the electronics, I will finish foaming him up and adding the steel body forms to give him a little more shape. :)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Well done on the grave grabber mechanism. I especially like how you attached the speakers...I'll have to copy that idea for my own grave grabber which was without sound last year. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of him when it's finished. When I constructed mine last year I had a bit of trouble making sure that his clothes did not bind in the moving parts; to fix that I ended up running a stiff bent wire from the back of his head to the back of the mechanism.

·
Bog Body
1,474 Posts
hmmm, i was going to use a motion sensor and a fog timer, never thought of just the timer. may be a simpler idea. have any pics of the head you are going to use?

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well done on the grave grabber mechanism. I especially like how you attached the speakers...I'll have to copy that idea for my own grave grabber which was without sound last year. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of him when it's finished. When I constructed mine last year I had a bit of trouble making sure that his clothes did not bind in the moving parts; to fix that I ended up running a stiff bent wire from the back of his head to the back of the mechanism.
Thanks, I wanted everything to be bolted to him, and only one plug to deal with. Plug him in and turn him on. ;)

I had that problem with the first one I built too. I am going to make a skeleton over the arm to keep his shirt out of the way on this one. :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
What a great build so far, very clean and tight and what a sweet mask. I'll have to add sound to mine this year, your two speakers should be quite loud. If I can sugest one thing, you should consider installing some sort of cage or cover for the armature especially by the motor. I cansider myself to be a fairly carefull person, but last halloween I got my finger caught. When something goes wrong with your prop as it surely will, and its Halloween night, your anxious, its dark and you can't see what your doing that cover will be a good safety. The cover will also keep your props clothing from getting caught, not to mention the nosey guests. Just a thought.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Very nice indeed!

What are you using for sound? Does the timer turn the sound on as well?

Again, Great Job! Nice and clean and looks like an easy set up.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Very clean!
I built mine last weekend using a Monster Guts wiper motor.
I am having trouble keeping the shirt from jamming up in the linkage.
By the way, I just bought those same exact hands. Great hands for a grave grabber. I am going to mount mine from above an archway grabbing down at people.

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the comments and input. I am planning on working on it again tonight. I'll post some pictures of the body frame once I get it finished.

Very cool! The chassis could be used for lots of props. So, mind spilling the beans on how you wire up a fog timer? It looks simple.
Hi Terra, the fog timer hack is very simple. There are 3 wires coming out of this particular timer. The black and white wires are just the 110 volt feed, the green wire is your output to your receptacle, only thing is, this timer is actually switching the neutral (white side) of the outlet. I do not know if the color codes are the same on all of them, but I do know they are all 3 wire. :) I can draw you up a simple schematic tonight if you like.

I split the outlet so one of the plugs is switched, and one remains on all the time. (this is where I am powering the speakers and sound board from using 1 wall wart) trying to keep it simple. ;)

Scareisburg, I am not a fan of wood in props myself, but this frame is very strong. I have (3) 3 1/2 inch screws into it from each side.

·
HELLoween Ubber Lord
2,681 Posts
Nice, you went with one of Brian Wright's heads, he does great work !! & his prices are good.
Would also like to see a diagram for fog timer !

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice, you went with one of Brian Wright's heads, he does great work !! & his prices are good.
Would also like to see a diagram for fog timer !
Yes, I bought 2 of his heads. Good stuff. I think it is going to look awesome. I have a diagram for the timer hack, I just need to get it posted.

That looks terrific. I've seen those hands before... are they from a set of grave grabber arms made out of wood stakes with shirtsleeves attached as well?
Yep, I picked up like 3 sets of them last year at Kmart for like $3 each. Couldn't go wrong for the price.

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
Very nicely done. That's always my sore spot - finding a way to get power and sound for a prop without turning the thing into a spaghetti factory. That mask is great - when can we see a vid?

·
Hauntless
8,374 Posts
Thanks for the comments and input. I am planning on working on it again tonight. I'll post some pictures of the body frame once I get it finished.

Hi Terra, the fog timer hack is very simple. There are 3 wires coming out of this particular timer. The black and white wires are just the 110 volt feed, the green wire is your output to your receptacle, only thing is, this timer is actually switching the neutral (white side) of the outlet. I do not know if the color codes are the same on all of them, but I do know they are all 3 wire. :) I can draw you up a simple schematic tonight if you like.

I split the outlet so one of the plugs is switched, and one remains on all the time. (this is where I am powering the speakers and sound board from using 1 wall wart) trying to keep it simple. ;)
If you wouldn't mind, I'd love a schematic. I just have enough knowledge to splice lamp cords in. You add the third wire and I get fuzzy. No rush, but this idea is intriguing. I was thinking of rigging this up for my peeping tombstone. Thanks so much.

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you wouldn't mind, I'd love a schematic. I just have enough knowledge to splice lamp cords in. You add the third wire and I get fuzzy. No rush, but this idea is intriguing. I was thinking of rigging this up for my peeping tombstone. Thanks so much.
Terra, I just posted a quick how to in the tutorial section. Let me know if you have any questions. ;)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts