Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A quick shot of the alcove where i kept the Ouija board this year.

This is another of those "stack it up at the last minute" arrangements. Those are just bedding chests. My son figured out how to put a person inside one of the chests serving as the table, with a magnet to make the planchette move. The upper platform in the back is a storage box turned upside down to hide his knees, which were hanging over the edge of the chest.

How authentic! A seance complete with hidden confederate impersonating the spirits! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Not a "Oui-Ja".. I once happened to got a small table, which was sort of an "antique". I noticed one day that the top of this small table was the same size as a Checker Board.....the first room of my haunt can be dark....I carefully cut out one of the checker board squares, then cut of the same space in the little table.
I would play a short game of checkers making sure they landed on the cut-out square, as their checker fell into that small dark hole, I would then say that I had "Won!".. and their fate would now be wholly in my hands.

·
Registered
13,902 Posts
I liked your set up Skele Tom. I probably wouldn't have thought to include the photos of "loved ones that have passed" and it just makes the scene. So your son stayed inside the boxes all night?! I bet the effect was great on the ouija board. Did he have a way to know what he was spelling out?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GoS, The amazing part to me was that my son and his friends would actually volunteer for shifts in the box for up to a half hour at a time. Some of them did it twice. It usually took about two minutes to unstack things, swap people, and put it back together, during lulls in visitors. Next year we are building something easier to get in and out of.

The Ouija board was one of those place mats that Spirit was selling this year. I turned it over on a light table and traced the lettering with a sharpie, so it was there on the back of the board in exact reverse. Originally I had the place mat in a float picture frame, which just fit on top of the box. But I realized that if something went wrong (someone lost their balance or dropped something on it), it would be raining broken glass on the face of the person below, so I had to re-think that. I ended up taking it out of the frame and using a piece of plexiglas (a storm window pressed into temporary service) for the tabletop. The tablecloth was also lacy and transparent so the light would shine through everything and the person inside could see what they were doing.

We did have a bit of trouble with the magnet wanting to slide the place mat around, since it was no longer under glass and because it was so light. Maybe felt feet under the magnets would help a bit with that. Or maybe I will re-do the picture frame with plastic panes.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gym, you are a master at finding the most mundane detail and twisting it into something completely unexpected. That's a great trick!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts