Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saturday morning was open for Archery season here. As I sat and watched the sun rise from my blind, this little guy came lumbering in to eat his fill of corn. :D Maybe 80 - 90 lbs, really goofy little bear. He hung with me all morning, so no deer came in, but it was fun to watch him. Love being in the woods, you never know what will show up! ;)

First pic was him hang out about 20 yards from me.
Second is when we checked trail cams and he'd been doing selfies. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Years ago, local Tavern owner here wrestled a Bear, beat him, won the $100 prize.
When the Bear's owner said he couldn't pay, Charlie told him, that he would be wrestling him next!
(He got paid!)
They showed the video tape at Charlie's funeral (many yrs. later)
Charlie had been a "Bouncer" at other Taverns before he got his two Taverns.
Haunters love seeing his Tavern, next to my haunt, Ravens Grin Inn. It has the 1890s Bar with old mirrors (possibly one my own Grandfather once "tended' 120 years ago) The four? Taxidermied Buffalo heads (Charlie was also a Farmer, he raised them) and other interesting smaller things.
The one Buffalo was struck by lightening ! It's horns exploded away from it's head! Buffalo burgers jumped on to the menu.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Years ago, local Tavern owner here wrestled a Bear, beat him, won the $100 prize.
When the Bear's owner said he couldn't pay, Charlie told him, that he would be wrestling him next!
(He got paid!)
They showed the video tape at Charlie's funeral (many yrs. later)
Charlie had been a "Bouncer" at other Taverns before he got his two Taverns.
Haunters love seeing his Tavern, next to my haunt, Ravens Grin Inn. It has the 1890s Bar with old mirrors (possibly one my own Grandfather once "tended' 120 years ago) The four? Taxidermied Buffalo heads (Charlie was also a Farmer, he raised them) and other interesting smaller things.
The one Buffalo was struck by lightening ! It's horns exploded away from it's head! Buffalo burgers jumped on to the menu.
Interesting story, I was a tad worried about bear wrestling myself. I grew up an area highly populated with black bears, so I'm fairly used to them. We have them here in NC in pockets. I was a little worried getting out of the stand mid morning, since where there's a cub, there's a mamma. While most of the time black bears are fairly shy, moms are very protective over their Cubs. But .. There is also tell of a mountain lion on the land, so the bears may be the least of my worries ;) on cams we have bear, deer, foxes, Bobcats, raccoons, possum and coyote .. So who know's.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is the coolest thing ever!!! I would love to see something like that from my back yard! :)
He was so funny .. just shuffled in and plopped himself in the middle of a big corn pile .. The proceeded to pig out. :D
Didn't make for a successful hunting morning, but when you are out there you just sit back, relax and enjoy what shows up. I also had a huge beautiful hawk come in for a while, he was watching squirrels.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
The Ravens Grin is on a cliff overlooking a small river. On the other side of the river are woods, even though we are a block off of the downtown,
We have numerous critters frequenting the area below the house.
One night as I walked out the door facing the woods and creek it sounded as if 100's of coyotes were just across that creek ALL "Singing" at the same time! It was almost deafening! I hollered:"Shut Up!".. and they all quit!
We have had some Bears in this area over just the last few years along with bobcats, but then when my Dad was a boy (!930s-40s) There were no Deer here! The Deer migrated from the North, and someone said:"Where the Deer go, the Bears will follow".
One local high School boy was walking in the grave yard here one night when he thought he heard a child crying. He began to walk toward the crying to possibly help, then it seemed to be coming from another direction, so he altered his path, then it seemed to change again! He got spooked and began running as the "Scream" now came from a place very close to him! He ran a long way to his Grandparent's house.
Later when he was living in California he discovered it had not been a little girl crying but a Bobcat! Nothing too "Supernatural" about that, right Sam & Dean?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thats an awesome way to spend a morning! The rock in the background almost looks like a pumpkin. That would be a cool pict. A bear playing with some pumpkins :)

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Ravens Grin is on a cliff overlooking a small river. On the other side of the river are woods, even though we are a block off of the downtown,
We have numerous critters frequenting the area below the house.
One night as I walked out the door facing the woods and creek it sounded as if 100's of coyotes were just across that creek ALL "Singing" at the same time! It was almost deafening! I hollered:"Shut Up!".. and they all quit!
We have had some Bears in this area over just the last few years along with bobcats, but then when my Dad was a boy (!930s-40s) There were no Deer here! The Deer migrated from the North, and someone said:"Where the Deer go, the Bears will follow".
One local high School boy was walking in the grave yard here one night when he
Later when he was living in California he discovered it had not been a little girl crying but a Bobcat! Nothing too "Supernatural" about that, right Sam & Dean?

Yes, Bobcats sound just like children crying. It's a very loud and almost haunting sound. I can see being in a graveyard and not knowing what it was being really freaking scary!!

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thats an awesome way to spend a morning! The rock in the background almost looks like a pumpkin. That would be a cool pict. A bear playing with some pumpkins :)
The orangish rock in the background is a mineral and salt lick, it's good for the animals. Pumpkins would be fun, :) but it sadly would freak the deer out. They are prey animals, change anything and they will not come in until they watch it for a while iand deem it safe.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
,,and in this state, Illinois, if the Game warden catches you putting out a block of salt in deer season, you will be heavilly fined! (For "Baiting" the Deer, as you shoot them.)

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
,,and in this state, Illinois, if the Game warden catches you putting out a block of salt in deer season, you will be heavilly fined! (For "Baiting" the Deer, as you shoot them.)
Gym, it's totally legal here ;) as is corn, apples, peanuts and other approved non proceeded foods. You can harvest a deer over any of them, including planting a food plot. NC has a vast over abundance of deer, so regulations are looser than some states.

In our state going against the hunting laws is a minimum misdemeanor ( sometime felony depending on what was broken) immediate seizure of all equipment and vehicle(s) used in committing the act, plus very, very stiff fines. Revocation of license min 3 years, possibly for life. They don't play around.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts