Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The post Halloween blues have subsided, partially due to starting on a new project for next year. Our theme will involve a lot of candles in a dark room. Followed many of the tutorials here and on other sites. Went with the basic 1.5 inch pvc cut to varying lengths/angles. Foam pipe insulation inserted into the pipes to hold the led candles. Hot glue "wax" layered on and painted with Rustoleum Heirloom White satin. Burnt umber to highlight. The first few were experimental but didn't turn out too bad. Still need to add more glue to some of them. I'll likely make several more groupings and hope to refine the technique on subsequent ones.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks DJ! Appreciate it. I got a pair of the sconces from Halloween Asylum. Didn't use them this year but they work perfectly with the candle clusters

Reactions: printersdevil

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh they look great....I bought a couple of masks at 50% off but I missed those !
Watch their site periodically. Once you see them grab them. They seem to be pretty scarce and sell out quickly. Even if they are listed as out of stock, put yourself on the notification list and they'll email you when they come in, then move fast! They don't last long!

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The color and diff heights look great JW. I think you need to vary the drip lengths on them. Not sure if I am being to picky.....:)
Not at all, in fact on some of the unfinished ones that need a second round of glue, I plan to give them some varying drip lengths. It does give them a better look. Overall, like most of our stuff, the fine detail goes unnoticed by patrons, but we add it for ourselves!

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Those turned out great! Nice job.
Thanks Dave!

I think they look wonderful! I like the waviness in your drips. (If that makes sense). My drips are still too 'hot glue' looking. I need to practice more.
The sconces are a perfect marriage with the candle clusters.
Thanks Hilda! The drips are hit or miss at first. I tried a couple different ways before I was happy with them. I've gone over each of them at least twice and sometimes three times with more layers and that seems to be the ticket. Also pushed the glue gun up a bit as I was making the drip to thicken it and make it more layered.

Wow the candles look great!! The paint looks awesome and they look so old. The skeleton candle holders are badass also.
Thanks! As I wipe the paint off the drips, it runs down the pipe and stains it a bit. I like the look overall, even though they'll be displayed in a dark area.

Agreed, your candles look very good, so old! The sconces are cool, perfect match to for the candles!
Thanks!

Love them! The one thing I always wished I had done to my candles is slanting the top a bit as opposed to keeping them straight across. You're look spectacular!
Thanks my friend! I like both styles so just did a mix. Figure candles burn randomly anyway so either would look good. I just set the saw at a 45 degree angle

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Whatever happened to that that talk two years ago of scaling back? Now your burning your candle at both ends.
We were going to majorly scale back until I teamed up with my fellow haunter Mark (lewlew on the forum). Then all bets were off and we just intensified the whole effort! Much more fun!

·
Lighthearted Halloween
3,796 Posts
Thanks Hilda! The drips are hit or miss at first. I tried a couple different ways before I was happy with them. I've gone over each of them at least twice and sometimes three times with more layers and that seems to be the ticket. Also pushed the glue gun up a bit as I was making the drip to thicken it and make it more layered.
Thank you so much for the tips!! i think the tipping it up might be the trick I was looking for.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts