Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I've just got through getting the main bulk of the paper mache on and I need a little help with the face. And you're not allowed to say...'oh, you should have done that first! :) It's my first big paper mache project and I need a little advice on making the face and an access hatch in the back of the head. The head is chicken wire with 8 coats of paper on it with multiple wire bracing to the pvc that runs the length of the scarecrow so hopefully it won't collapse under its own weight when I make the mouth and eyes.

After making the face and adding the bulges, veins and such I'll add 2-3 more paper mache coats. He's a bit bigger than he appears in the pic at 8' tall from base to the stem on the head and the head itself is 20" wide. I'll be using a whole bunch of grape vines for the arms and to fill out the body and legs for the final product

Anyway here's a pic:

First, the face...cut all the way through past the wire with a dremel or use a knife and keep the chicken wire intact?

Second, the access hatch...any ideas?? I want to be able to get a CFL light into the pumpkin to light him from the inside and also be able to spray paint the inside. But I obviously need to keep some rain out too.
Maybe something else?

I'm totally stumped with the access hatch in the back. I've thought of a bunch of different ideas but they all seem crazy and more complicated than they need to be. Hopefully one of you Halloween brainiacs will have a good easy solution for me! I'd love any input you could send my way :)

·
Registered
650 Posts
I can't help you with your questions, but I'm impressed.... This is your FIRST paper maché???!!! And you had the patience to put 8 layers of paper?? WOW!!! ;) Can't wait to see the final result!

·
Registered
274 Posts
ok first I would leave the chicken wire intact in the eye and mouth holes. in fact you can always paint it black and even back lighted it will be hard to see at night unless you get real close. as far as a hatch just cut a square hole leaving the top potion attached so you can bend it up to get inside I did this in the back of my version I made last year. And finally for lighting I would make a small LED spot to put in it. They are battery powered so no 110v to get wet in the rain and compact also very bright you will be supprised. They come in many colors. Oh and they can last for hours and hours on a battery. There are tons of good tutorials for them here is one. http://halloweenpropmaster.com/Videos/spotlight_instructions.pdf

·
sasquatch
3,076 Posts
if you go to PumpkinRot.com the master tells how he does it. Please go to his site and check out how he does the faces, I believe he shapes the face using paperclay before opening up the holes.

·
Creepy Clown Is Redundant
642 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
woohoo! I've got him almost finished. I think the face was the hardest with trying to make him look scary and I've been out and about collecting grape vines for his arms and legs all week. I'm lucky they grow wild in my area.

I'm really excited to get all my props out this year and this one is taking center stage :) I'm having a Halloween setup party and do decorating right this year. Friends, food, beer and halloween are a good combination!

You're absolutely right Sychoclown, spookyblue was a big inspiration. After seeing their scarecrows I was hooked. I'm hoping that next year I can nail the terror look in a skull type of scarecrow that can be this one's brother.

·
The Hobo Spider Assassin
6,111 Posts
Now that is one fine looking pumpkinrot style scarecrow! Great job and I'd love to see some shots of the humble beginnings through your build up!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Grapevine sources?

Great looking scarecrow. I'm looking to make the same thing this year, but have had a hard time locating grape vines. Anyone know of any sources, or have ideas of where I can get some in Massachusetts (15 min. west of Boston)?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm looking to make the same thing this year, but have had a hard time locating grape vines. Anyone know of any sources, or have ideas of where I can get some in Massachusetts
rpick89, you may be in a good area for wild grape vines like me. I think concord grapes are from Mass.

I see wild grape vines on a daily basis because I spend a lot of time in the woods for work but I see them most at the edges of old growth tree lines especially along the sides of the roads. You can spot the easily enough from the way they grow in the trees and bushes. They tend to creep up existing bushes and trees then cascade their leaves down toward the ground and their leaf shape is very distinct (the shape reminds me of that evil mogwai from the movie Gremlins...lol) and usually a different color than the surrounding tree. What you rarely see are the grapes. The animals eat them pretty quick I guess. A good rule of thumb is the higher the leaves start, the thicker the vines at the bottom. I usually grab the vine and pull them down from the tree and hack them up to stick in my car. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you :)

And a special thanks to you guys who pointed me back to pumpkinrot for my question! Sometimes the easy solutions are the hardest to see!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts