Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, folks. This is the second Southern California year in a row (I've lived here for four years now) that I've tried to grow pumpkins.

Last year was a colossal failure, but this year it looks like I might have at least ONE pumpkin, even though it's a mini.

I planted luminas (white; medium-size) and baby boos (miniature/tiny; white) and though I can't seem to get a lumina to pollinate, I did get one baby boo and here she is so far! About 1.5" across.

Isn't she cute??? So...I haven't given up hope on getting a carving-sized pumpkin yet...there's still a bit of time left in the season before it gets so hot that no female will flower...but that time is dwindling. Regardless, I WILL HAVE SUCCESSFULLY POLLINATED AT LEAST ONE PUMPKIN. I don't know why it's been so hard for me to grow these here; my other stuff has certainly grown...tomatoes, zucchini, cukes.

Anyway...if she grows to full size I will store her and then bring 'er on out this September!

·
Registered
676 Posts
You can try hand-pollinating your luminas. It might be a lot of work, but it should pollinate your pumpkins.

My plants haven't gotten big enough yet. I'm hoping they make it in time. I've always planted when they suggest planting but my pumpkins always came in too early. This year I waited an extra week or two. My wolf pumpkins did not come up, though. I was really hoping they would.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you, digbugsgirl! I do hand-pollinate. The problem is getting females to emerge. I added some calcium last week to encourage them. I have tons of males but as of last week, no new females at all.:( The ones I hand-pollinated prior to that did not set.

Where you're located, you do definitely have time. If you get babies and things get hot out there, you can always put a shade umbrella in the ground over them to keep them a few degrees cooler. If you get any, POST PICS! I love growing pumpkins (or trying to).

·
Registered
676 Posts
I think I heard somewhere that too much nitrogen will "stunt" the growth of the female flower. Can't remember if that's right.

I love growing pumpkins, too. Last year my patch did beautifully, that is until a stupid groundhog decided to feast on them. I've moved my patch this year so I'll be able to keep an eye on the pesky critters. I'll definitely post pics when they start producing.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
digbugsgirl: Yep, exactly, and I was using Miracle Grow and coffee grinds and both are very high in nitrogen. So I'm stopping those for the next 2-3 weeks and doing egg shells instead. They take a while to leech in but it's the natural way to do it. I can't wait to see your pictures!!!!

TheHidden: LOL. Yes. She looks just like me...she has her father's stem, her mother's rind....................

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
From what I understand of those really BIIIIG pumpkin contests, they only want one (and cut away a lot of the foliage as well), so maybe you'll have one REALLY BIG pumpkin!
Yup! Those are usually Atlantic Giants! I go on a pumpkin growing site where people are FIERCE about their competitive pumpkin-growing. And you'll definitely see patches that are dozens of feet total length with just one pumpkin growing because it's so far out on the vine.

If I ever have a few acres of land, I am DEFINITELY going into competition one year.

·
Reaper
3,611 Posts
Awesome! I'm glad you have at least one! This year I decided to experiment with different areas of the yard to see whch grows best :)

·
Creepin When Your Sleepin
1,143 Posts
Congrats on da little one!
I took all my pumpkins from last year and just tossed them next to the garage just to get rid if them and to my surprise they are growing......well they were growing!!
Till my psycho neighbor came into my yard and mowed them down and weedwacked them to death!!!!!! This lady WILLNOT stay out of my yard. then even said to me you don't need them and I sure don't want them coming into my yard. STAY THE HELL OUT OF MY YARD!!! so now no pumpkins in my yard.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Congrats on da little one!
I took all my pumpkins from last year and just tossed them next to the garage just to get rid if them and to my surprise they are growing......well they were growing!!
Till my psycho neighbor came into my yard and mowed them down and weedwacked them to death!!!!!! This lady WILLNOT stay out of my yard. then even said to me you don't need them and I sure don't want them coming into my yard. STAY THE HELL OUT OF MY YARD!!! so now no pumpkins in my yard.
What? Are you kidding me???? She goes into your yard? Have you called the police?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Even though I complain about the extreme winter where I live, this area is wonderful for growing vegetables and pumpkins are my favorite. I have planted some this year BUT it has been very cool and wet so far so I am getting a little concerned for my garden. Love the picture of your pumpkin, I can't help but smile when I see them.

·
Registered
42,950 Posts
Hi CaliforniaMelanie,
I just happened to be lookin' at the different threads posted and yours here caught my eye. That's a cutie pumpkin you got there!
My husband and I grow the Atlantic Giants here in Vermont, hope the Pumpkin Gods are good to us this year and that we'll get a biggie!
Happy growing to you! :)
Julianne

·
Wunderfully Wiccaned
541 Posts
We started our little pumpkin garden about a week ago (I know late in the season), but we Live in the extreme weather of southern california. In the last 6 days we already have 3 baby sprouts poking out! We don't even care if we get pumpkins, we are most interested in the "foliage"... =) I'll see if I can get some pics of them poking out of the soil tomorrow or Sunday!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts