Halloween Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pumpkin, which I named Tommy Boy, has won the Horticulture Show at the 84th Annual North Georgia Fair. The North Georgia fair is the second largest state fair in Georgia with over 300,000 visitors. And the Horticulture Show judges are nationally accredited judges. Tommy Boy is an Atlantic Giant weighing in at 73 1/2 lbs. I have included pics below from the fair and from when I weighed him at a local grocery store.

He won first place in his pumpkin weight division (25 lbs +). Then, he won Best in Show for the Fruit/Gourd Category. Then among all other best of show winners (annuals, perennials,shrubs, etc.), Tommy Boy was selected as the best of the best and received the Excellence in Horticulture award ribbon along with a crystal vase.

This forum inspired me three years ago to get involved with pumpkin growing. I have to thank my pumpkin growing forum members who participated in the pumpkin growing thread. The thread really kept me going this year. WitchyKitty and ooojen where the backbone of the thread this year. Mayor of Haddonfield posted some great pics of beautiful pumpkins that fueled my competitive juices. And JaCK, added a nice touch of humor to the thread and lifted my spirits when a majority of my plants were getting crushed by vine borers.

I hope everyone enjoys the pics. :D

Pumpkin Calabaza Winter squash Orange Vegetable

View attachment 344978

·
His name is Roger Clyne
10,484 Posts
CONGRATS!!

I'd love to do something like this but I'm lacking in pumpkin growing skills. I can get 2 out of a vine at best & they're not always great. Maybe one day.

What will you do with it now?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
CONGRATS!!

What will you do with it now?
I have a small area (15x20) right by the front door, and I will set it up as a pumpkin patch with an assortment of real and blow mold lighted pumpkins. I have no plans to carve my pumpkin, but I reserve the right to change my mind. :D

·
Registered
118 Posts
Excellent!! So happy for you Col! I know you were bursting with pride!!!!!

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Wonderful job! So cool that reading the pumpkin thread here got you started ages ago - I think that's so true of this Forum! We read about it, then we try it!

Remember to lift with your knees! LOL! :D

·
Registered
305 Posts
Col. Fryght that is so awesome!!! It's so cool that all that hard work, time and effort you put into this paid off. I'm sincerely happy for you! The little thread that we all post in really helps me stay at it. Seeing everyone else's success makes me strive to do better.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts