Halloween Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK... so I've wanted to replace my old hokey original styrofoam tombstones for some time (seen here).

OldTombstones.jpg

So, I saw Mr. Chicken's photos including his recreation of the "Master Gracey" tombstone. That led me to the decision to recreate all the tombstone found in the small cemetery that sits along the line-up queue at the Haunted Mansion!

I can't think of a better way to honour the Walt's "old men" who's famous dark ride attraction has (indirectly) influenced so much of my own haunt. I'm going to do these as realistic as possible using techniques learned from Terra and from the "Blackstone Cemetery" how-to's!

I so can't wait to get started! The following photos show what I plan to recreate for this halloween:

View attachment 4058

View attachment 4059

View attachment 4062

View attachment 4063

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should add, regarding the Madame Leota tombstone, I plan to have her eyes randomly flashing as if she's blinking! HA! I even already know how i'm going to do this! Am I excited or what? Sorry... I'll calm down now!

In fact someone's already done the lightup eyes that follow you. I plan to do the same but with the blinking as well.... hopefully... this is my plan.

YouTube - My Homemade Leota Tombstone

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
... And thank you Mr. Chicken for the inspiration!

Mr. Grimsley

·
Scared Silly
1,931 Posts
... And thank you Mr. Chicken for the inspiration!

Mr. Grimsley
:cool: Happy to inspire somebody!

I think that's going to be really cool to have all of them!

When I made Gracey's, I took a picture of it off the internet, brought it into Photoshop, reduced it to a black and white outline (I think with brightness/contrast), scaled it to full size, and printed it on a number of sheets of printer paper, which I taped together and then used as a template to carve out the letters like this: The Skeleton's Hand: 2008 Countdown #4

I didn't put a whole lot of time into it, but I think you can do some really amazing things if you do.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Don't just toss your old stones, they might be able to be filled back in and then you can recarve on the backs. I know wood putty works to fill the cracks BEFORE they are painted...not sure if it would work on top of paint but caulk probably will.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Terra, I so agree!... I love the Leota Tombstone. It's so subtle. I've seen youtube videos where the kids are telling mom & dad that it moved and the parents are just thinking it's their kids' imaginations! LOL. Have never seen it in person but I hope to in the next few years.

My plan is fairly simple. Failing being able to hack the eyes from a Gemmy Talking Skull into my tombstone, I was thinking of making the eyes concave like the video above (the old following eyes trick). The face itself would be hollow of course. My thought was to place a very short christmas light string with only 2 white lights within the head. One of the lights would be a blinker (with the red tip) that normally blinks the entire string. I've tested them and found them to be random enough to look like blinking.

If I really get involved, I may even hack a PIR motion sensor into the whole thing so she only comes to life when people are near! Maybe even have the hollow sounds of her incantations heard floating through the air? WOW... and this is just one tombstone, but the possibilities are endless!

Muahahahahahahahaha!!!!

Calloween, I'm definitely going to check out the Gemmy Talking Skull for possibilities!

Mr. Chicken, I like your idea for scribing the epitaphs! Definitely going to try that... thank you once again!

PS. I noticed the youtube video of the real Leota Tombstone was "disabled by request" (who's request, I don't know). I hope I didn't step over the line in posting that. I will check with the rules again to make sure my posts abide by them. :OP I have since removed the link to that video.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'll add a tip of my own.

I use a texturing gun to give my tombstones a cement look. Simply create the tombstone...carving letters and all. Before painting...I use a drywall texture sprayer to give a weathered stone feel. Use Elmers school glue to create fancy scrollwork trim (make sure the glue is completely dry before painting). I use pink insulation board.

It makes the tombstone look less fake.

To create a brick wall..I use the same pink board. Line up 2x4s to create gaps. Then use a small pencil torch or torch lighter to cut recessed motar in the gap...moving the 2x4s around to create the pattern. I replaced my front door with a brick wall one year.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ah, OK I feel a little better then about the video! I didn't think I had done anything wrong but wasn't sure. :O)

Dark-Lore, any images available? That sounds very interesting!

·
Hauntingly Addicting
6,068 Posts
Well I think those are going to come out great! Please post pics and tutorials if you can I would love to see how you are going to do this.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
mama, I will definitely do that!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts