Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Capt o' the Mourning Star
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Last year was my first attempt at building a Pirate ship onto the front of my house. It was a lot of fun to build and the neighbors seemed to enjoy it, so I did pretty much the same set up this year with a few additions.

I moved some of the "Crew" around on deck, added a Crow's nest and a few more lights to the set. I have one more half skeleton on order to man the port side cannon. I also got some bamboo poles and I am trying to figure out how to make them into an entryway for my sidewalk. I want to hang some shrunken heads from it and a sign that says "Ilse de Muerta".

I present to you my pirate ship, "The Mourning Star".......such as she is....

·
Registered
171 Posts
Very very nice. Nice idead to use the slats rather than a full on wooden hull.

·
The Greatest Pumpkin
752 Posts
Ah-Mazing! Its just, wow! I'm Speechless. Looks like ALOT of Effort was put into that Scene!

·
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all for all the kind words! It took me the better part of three weeks to build everything last year. But with most of it already built, it took me about three days to get it all set up again this year.

I actually had a few more slats in the bow last year, but this year I opted to leave a few out and add some more netting and "Spooky" material to the hull. I have a blue spotlight behind the bow along with a fog machine and a thunder & lightening machine. The effect is pretty cool when the fog comes through the hull material.

I will add a few more pics as I finish things up.....:D

·
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Weathering the storm.....

Ahoy Mateys,

I am putting a call out to the Brethren Court to pray for me ship and me crew.....we are weathering quite a storm here in Northern Calif.... They are calling for 2-4 inches of rain today and winds up to 20+ mph!

The winds have shifted the base of the mast a bit on the deck, so I had to add some large paving bricks to hold her down....I am hoping that 100 pounds of ballast per side should do the trick....

I ended up having to untie the bottoms of the sails in the hope that I don't loose them!.....

So far, the rest of the ship and the crew seem to be riding the storm just fine….

Some of my smaller props in the garden got blown over....They will be secured below decks until the storm breaks.....

The Queen was most displeased that her prized Hibiscus plant was mistreated by Mother Nature......

·
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
WOW what a great scene!The lightning is amazing.
Thanks! I use a combination of blue and green floodlights strategically placed around the yard. I have a strobe light down below the deck that shines through the bow fabric and one on the deck that shines on the crew. I also use several Tiki torches on the deck of the ship and a few along the walkway up to my front door.

We are still riding through the storm here in Northern Calif.....but the ship and the crew are holding the line straight and true.....:D

·
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here is a little poem I wrote about the "Mourning Star" and her crew......

“The Mourning Star"

"Ahoy there me hearties.... Come ye close and cast your gaze upon the Mourning Star.

She is stout of heart and of good tone, a finer ship no man has known.

Make no bones about it, she's got a skeleton crew. Full of dreams, with little means, they are but lean and true.

They sail the seas to lands near and far on the hard washed decks of the Mourning Star.

Through weather fair and hard bound, they sail the seas in search of treasure as yet unfound.

Truth be told, these are men hardy and bold. By the light of the golden smugglers moon, they steer their ship towards their final doom.

Homeward bound they will never be, for their only mistress is the following sea....

Such is the fate of the Mourning Star.....”

1 - 20 of 37 Posts