Halloween Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #21
Just a completely brilliant set-up!!! May I ask where you found all the audio clips for your scenes? I've been having a heck of a time finding "clean" audio clips and dialog, and would welcome any leads.
Thank you! I bought the original attraction soundtrack (https://www.amazon.com/Pirates-Caribbean-Original-Attraction-Soundtrack/dp/B00ANRHFYO) for most of the clips. I also bought Yo Ho too (https://www.amazon.com/Yo-Ho-Pirates-Life-Me/dp/B01M0MEI40/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=yo+ho&qid=1571145656&s=dmusic&sr=1-9). The battle scene was given to me by someone else on here or I found a version on youtube and converted it to mp3. I was running into the same issue and decided to spend some money to make the audio sound perfect. I use Audacity to create the custom tracks. I create separate tracks for each character and play them all together to see where I need to add silences or short bird tracks.

Registered
rmayer121, this display is incredible, and I thank you, also, for the links to the audio! I don't have a porch, so I've decided to have my foyer be the "porch". My skeleton crew is hanging out in our dining room, and I've got three more ole' salts making a nuisance of themselves in the main foyer, so all I need to do is cordon off the entry into our living room, sp the ToTer's can come in, enjoy while getting their candy, then exit. You continue to provide great displays that can and will be "borrowed" by we of lesser talents! "Avast, ye be smart as paint ye are!"

Registered
Discussion Starter #25
rmayer121, this display is incredible, and I thank you, also, for the links to the audio! I don't have a porch, so I've decided to have my foyer be the "porch". My skeleton crew is hanging out in our dining room, and I've got three more ole' salts making a nuisance of themselves in the main foyer, so all I need to do is cordon off the entry into our living room, sp the ToTer's can come in, enjoy while getting their candy, then exit. You continue to provide great displays that can and will be "borrowed" by we of lesser talents! "Avast, ye be smart as paint ye are!"
Thank you for the kind words! I enjoy doing this every year and love sharing the results with everyone. I wish more people could see it in person and hear the 9 minute show of characters talking. I saw your pirates and like seeing the different poses and clothing that you have chosen. Wish I had a room like that to decorate but the wife says the outside is all mine and to stay out of the house with my pirates!

Registered
Discussion Starter #31
Took some daytime videos yesterday. Ended up having ~200 ToTs. Lots of happy kids and adults checking out my haunt and thanking me for putting the effort in. Kids were running up to the house saying that this is the coolest house they鈥檝e ever been to.

Registered
Everything looks great! Wish I could set up outside. I just don't want to take a chance with the weather these days. I'm inspired by your cannon and shiatsu pirate. Did you follow a tutorial somewhere?

Registered
Discussion Starter #36
Everything looks great! Wish I could set up outside. I just don't want to take a chance with the weather these days. I'm inspired by your cannon and shiatsu pirate. Did you follow a tutorial somewhere?
Shiatsu pirate was similar to the pirate that DirtTroll did in his post.(https://www.halloweenforum.com/threads/pirate-ship-2013-to-present.131248/page-4). Not really a tutorial, just looked at his pictures and figured out the rest on my own. I wish his videos still worked, but they are inactive now.

The cannon somewhat followed this tutorial (https://www.halloweenforum.com/threads/halloween-pirate-cannon.143743/), but I really only followed it for the shape of the cannon. The guts are: a fire and ice light with the globe take off, a fog machine in the barrel, a computer fan behind the fog machine, computer speakers in the carriage, a perfect storm fx box that syncs up the audio and flashing light in a Rubbermaid container. The mp3 players are from eBay and turn on once my whole setup turns on via a wifi outlet plug. I have a timer on the fog machine that gives out short bursts of fog every ~10 seconds so the fog doesn't exactly time up with the "shot" but it's pretty close and looks pretty good when some of the smoke lingers in the barrel. Living in WA state, I had to make sure the cannon was waterproof so I added 4 different layers of products that would help with this. Most of it was free stuff from the "buy nothing" groups on Facebook, but they were (exterior caulking smeared to give texture, can of truck bed liner spray, 2 coats of latex paint and 2 coats of spray polyurethane). I had no issues with it deteriorating from the rain and we had a few downpours when I had it sitting out.

Registered
Discussion Starter #37
This is an awesome display! I cannot even imagine how much time you must have spent putting all of this together.
Thank you! I built stuff year round, but started setting up the 2nd week of September. The good thing was that by the 2nd week of October, everything was done and I was just doing fine tuning. I try to mix things up since I get a lot of the same people that come see it so I'm always trying to come up with new ideas on how to change things. The crazy thing is I spent months building stuff and setting it up and was able to pull it all down and store it in 5 hours yesterday. I build everything to store in my garage and still have room to park my wife's car in there.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts