Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The following is the first post I'm planning on doing in my blog about my delving into Halloween prop building... I'm hoping that my love of Halloween and my adventure into doing this will help others who might be interested. I would love to hear some comments about what I might change to make it easier for others.

Alright, well, as I promised, here is one of the posts that I've been meaning to do, but I haven't had enough time. (meaning I didn't have enough time to do actual construction) Anyways, you can use this and build either just the ghost part or the whole flying crank ghost that I will be building. Bear in mind that this is the first time that I've built a Halloween prop so this was a learning experience for me. This is not complete yet, but this is the skeleton of the ghost

Things you will need:
5 wire coat hangers
1 skull (Styrofoam, plastic, it doesn't matter as long as a hanger can go through it)
1 pliers (for twisting the coat hangers)
1 wire cutter (or saw, something to cut through the wire hangers)

This is everything all laid out... as you can see I just used a $1 skull I picked up from Dollar Tree...and 5 coat hangers I had lying around.

Alright, for most people the first thing to do is to straighten out the curved part of the top of the wire hanger and to push that through the skull (you would use that to hang the ghost from)... however, I live on an upper story, so I cut that part off... also you will squeeze the wire hanger down on the two sides so that it looks more like shoulders, as seen here...

Now then, you will need to cut the bottom part of the other 4 hangers off so that it looks like this...

After you have the 4 bottoms cut off, you will then bend both ends up so that they form hooks...

You will then attach one end to both sides of the hanger...

you must close these otherwise it will simple come loose when we get to the movement part...

...these are going to become the "arms" of the ghost...You will then attach the second pair of bottoms to the first part of the arm using the hook method. Also, you will want to do a small "o" on the bottom of both arms, this can be done by closing the hook in on itself. The reason for creating the "o" on the bottom of both arms is so you can thread a wire through it either if you are just going to hang it, or if you are going to do the Flying Crank Ghost this is where the strings will attach so that it can move. (although when I took this picture, I had forgotten to close the bottom of the arms!)

...and here we have the final product....well, as final as it gets before adding on the outside of the ghost.

There you have it! Happy building with your own ghost and I will be back soon with the rest of it. ... as soon as Wal-Mart gets some more cheesecloth in so that I can start that part. :p

·
Registered
91 Posts
Applause, very good and detailed tutorial.

Peter

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you have a Hancock Fabrics store nearby, you can get the cheesecloth there. Right now it is on sale -- 3 yards for 99 cents. I think the sale lasts until Sept. 9th.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
haha well, apparently, Hancock Fabrics was founded less than an hour from my current location (Tupelo, MS) so yeah there's definitely some nearby, I will definitely have to check that out! ...for that price I could stock up on some and not have to worry about getting more for some other projects.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi ChangedReality, I finished my ghost using a part of your tutorial - think we complement each other. But uups there's one thing missing - I wasn't able to find reliable blueing in germany (the shipping costs are too high). So my ghost works very well, her eyes glow red by LEDs - all provided by the same computer power supply, no batteries needed, but doesn't glow in the dark. Perhaps next year.

Need to say: You done a very, very good job!

Peter

·
Reaper Queen
8,819 Posts
hellowinnie, have you washed the material for the ghost? Laundry detergent can cause fabric to glow under black light, especiall ide. Also try any fabric whitner and brightner,, do you have Rid dye or the like? Use their whitner , will work good too! good luck!

·
Registered
91 Posts
No chance

hellowinnie, have you washed the material for the ghost? Laundry detergent can cause fabric to glow under black light, especiall ide. Also try any fabric whitner and brightner,, do you have Rid dye or the like? Use their whitner , will work good too! good luck!
Hi, bethene thanks for your good ideas but unfortunately here in germany the laundry detergent has got not the ingredients that make the fabrics glow under blacklight. I only found blueing ( called "Wäscheblau") in little sachets (5 pck with 10 grams each) for 1,55 € (1,06 $) + 8 € (5,48 $) shipping (which is definitely to expensive - normally 1 to 1,90 € (0,69 to 1,30 $) shipping rate) and I don't want to pay so much for shipping only. :(

And the brightener you can buy here works with oxygen and also doesn't make the wanted effect.

They use other ingredients in germany, because like I learned yet, we've got "another white" - our white is what you would call dirty (it's darker) and you've got a blending white wich inclines in the range of colours to a very, very lite/ slightly blue.

Peter

·
Registered
91 Posts
photos

Today I took some photos with my wifes celly - poor quality but think it'll do.

Please go to my album to see the rest. There's also a photo of the rig and a few other things (some in progress).

Halloween Forum - hellowinnie's Album: Halloween 2009

Got a vid in poor quality on youtube, so you can see her in motion - besides called her "Josephine".

YouTube - Video002 WMV V9

In reality the movement is much smoother - she doesn't "smash down" like in the vid and she is much slower, the video is twice fast as in reality.

Greetz

Peter

·
Registered
450 Posts
Josephine looks great!!

Nice job.

Bill

1 - 11 of 11 Posts