Halloween Forum banner

My Owl Switch

1965 11
Is nothing sacred? Not with me (probably with none of you either). My wife bought this owl for two days before Halloween. It is activated by motion & sound, its eyes light up and its head turns and spins around, but I sang some horrible song.

So, of course, the first thing was to open it and put an end to the sound. While I had it open I thought (like most of you “what can be done?”). So I figured I could put the sound and motion detector to work for me.

Tapped off the small currant to the motor in the head, dug up a low voltage relay, terminal strip, snap-in 110 outlet, old pc board, couple jacks & plugs and “Walla”. I can plug any AC operated item and have it turn on remotely some 12 feet away from the owl, via small patch cord from owl to the unit. I used a strobe light this time.

Kind of an easy project, soon I’ll post my optical/photo switch.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I cut the owl’s throat (speaker), it has no more sounds.

The owl’s passive inferred sensor and its sound sensor still function. I have just tapped the power source to the motor in the head (which still turns and the eyes still flash).

With the relay I can plug in a light, sound or even a fog machine that will turn on when someone walks by or it senses a loud noise.

Any little gadget that operates with a motion or sound sensor can be hacked to operate another appliance.

I'm working on hacking the sound board to up load my sounds into it's card. It's just a mater of finding time.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Tapped off the small currant to the motor in the head, dug up a low voltage relay, terminal strip, snap-in 110 outlet, old pc board, couple jacks & plugs and “Walla”. I can plug any AC operated item and have it turn on remotely some 12 feet away from the owl, via small patch cord from owl to the unit. I used a strobe light this time.
Kind of an easy project, soon I’ll post my optical/photo switch.
My eyes see your words, but my mind is just reading, blah blah blah, blah blah, chinese, greek, blabbadee blah blah.

·
Open up and say "Aaaaahh"
1,536 Posts
Cool...You turned your owl into a sensor to trigger other props as well. I was toying with that idea too, only I was gonna just rip out the sensor and tranplant it into the prop I want to trigger, but I like your idea better! This would work with ANY small prop that has a sensor. Saves bucks on PIRs too. You could cascade triggers too. If you have a small prop that is triggered by light and another with sound, the one with sound would trigger with a clap, activate a strobe which would activate the one with a light sensor and trigger a fog machine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.