Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is nothing sacred? Not with me (probably with none of you either). My wife bought this owl for two days before Halloween. It is activated by motion & sound, its eyes light up and its head turns and spins around, but I sang some horrible song.

So, of course, the first thing was to open it and put an end to the sound. While I had it open I thought (like most of you “what can be done?”). So I figured I could put the sound and motion detector to work for me.

Tapped off the small currant to the motor in the head, dug up a low voltage relay, terminal strip, snap-in 110 outlet, old pc board, couple jacks & plugs and “Walla”. I can plug any AC operated item and have it turn on remotely some 12 feet away from the owl, via small patch cord from owl to the unit. I used a strobe light this time.

Kind of an easy project, soon I’ll post my optical/photo switch.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
I'm confused...what does the owl DO now?
I want mine to only lose that awful song but continue to "hoot" as I think that is the best feature on him...well that and the head turning thing :)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I cut the owl’s throat (speaker), it has no more sounds.

The owl’s passive inferred sensor and its sound sensor still function. I have just tapped the power source to the motor in the head (which still turns and the eyes still flash).

With the relay I can plug in a light, sound or even a fog machine that will turn on when someone walks by or it senses a loud noise.

Any little gadget that operates with a motion or sound sensor can be hacked to operate another appliance.

I'm working on hacking the sound board to up load my sounds into it's card. It's just a mater of finding time.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm working on a guillotine....I drew the design druring a meeting...

·
Registered
217 Posts
Tapped off the small currant to the motor in the head, dug up a low voltage relay, terminal strip, snap-in 110 outlet, old pc board, couple jacks & plugs and “Walla”. I can plug any AC operated item and have it turn on remotely some 12 feet away from the owl, via small patch cord from owl to the unit. I used a strobe light this time.
Kind of an easy project, soon I’ll post my optical/photo switch.
My eyes see your words, but my mind is just reading, blah blah blah, blah blah, chinese, greek, blabbadee blah blah.

·
Open up and say "Aaaaahh"
1,562 Posts
Cool...You turned your owl into a sensor to trigger other props as well. I was toying with that idea too, only I was gonna just rip out the sensor and tranplant it into the prop I want to trigger, but I like your idea better! This would work with ANY small prop that has a sensor. Saves bucks on PIRs too. You could cascade triggers too. If you have a small prop that is triggered by light and another with sound, the one with sound would trigger with a clap, activate a strobe which would activate the one with a light sensor and trigger a fog machine.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm glade most people get it.

These things are a dime-a-dozen and hacking them are rather easy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts