Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had one foam blank left from the sheet I bought a few months ago and decided to go for something different that I have not seen a lot of - wooden tombstones. Kind of an old west look, but I'm a firm believer in variety in my graveyard so I went ahead with the carve. First I drew a rectangle I wanted to preserve for a faux metal epitaph, then I drew lines where the individual planks would be if this tombstone were real and made from planks of wood. Then came the Dremel to rout out the planks to different depths to create the illusion that they are individual pieces, while leaving the rectangle for the epitaph intact...

The wood grain was carved mainly with an exacto blade, but I used a fillet knife for the bigger cuts and an emery board to create the finer lines and smooth out the big cuts...

Then came the lettering, done by printing out on an 8-1/2 x 11 label sheet, then tracing with an exacto knife at around 1/16 inch depth, then picking out the interior of the letters with the exacto blade turned sideways. Very tedious, but worth the result...

Finally the paint. Started with a base coat of flat black latex making sure to get down into each and every crack, crevice, and hole, then grey house paint dry brushed over the black to reveal the detail, then beige hilites dry brushed over the grey, but not completely covering it, then airbrushed brown over that to complete the wood look. The plaque was painted with copper metallic acrylic, then airbrushed with black and green. I used real nails for the corners of the plaque, cut to about 1/2 inch before pushing them into the foam.

VERY happy with this one, though I was unsure of how it would turn out when I started.

·
The Cackling Cauldron
1,305 Posts
I had one foam blank left from the sheet I bought a few months ago and decided to go for something different that I have not seen a lot of - wooden tombstones. Kind of an old west look, but I'm a firm believer in variety in my graveyard so I went ahead with the carve. First I drew a rectangle I wanted to preserve for a faux metal epitaph, then I drew lines where the individual planks would be if this tombstone were real and made from planks of wood. Then came the Dremel to rout out the planks to different depths to create the illusion that they are individual pieces, while leaving the rectangle for the epitaph intact...

The wood grain was carved mainly with an exacto blade, but I used a fillet knife for the bigger cuts and an emery board to create the finer lines and smooth out the big cuts...

Then came the lettering, done by printing out on an 8-1/2 x 11 label sheet, then tracing with an exacto knife at around 1/16 inch depth, then picking out the interior of the letters with the exacto blade turned sideways. Very tedious, but worth the result...

Finally the paint. Started with a base coat of flat black latex making sure to get down into each and every crack, crevice, and hole, then grey house paint dry brushed over the black to reveal the detail, then beige hilites dry brushed over the grey, but not completely covering it, then airbrushed brown over that to complete the wood look. The plaque was painted with copper metallic acrylic, then airbrushed with black and green. I used real nails for the corners of the plaque, cut to about 1/2 inch before pushing them into the foam.

VERY happy with this one, though I was unsure of how it would turn out when I started.
Wow!!! this looks awesome. your wood grain is very detailed.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts