Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the modeling clay to add and that will help with the nose and the chin. I plan on building them up but needed something for the clay to grab onto for the nose. Hubby came up with this idea. I have two coats of paper mache on a foam wig stand. I plan on adding one more layer then using the modeling clay for the rest. I have a witches hat to start with but Im not sure if I am going to use that or some chicken wire and paper mache the whole head and hat into one "head".

What do you think?

If I combine the head and hat I wont have to worry about it coming apart but it might be heavy for the body. The body is going to be made from pvc piping and wood to stabilize it with a black witches dress.

I also have been thinking of not adding a mouth at all. Not sure...I thought it might make it creepier. I try for creepy, scary and dreadful in my decorations.

The tombstones have one coat of grey on them and I need to add more then the detail work to make them look old. I dont like how on the bases you can see the seams/compound lines. I didnt sand enough. Hubby says it gives them character...I say it looks sloppy.

Let me know what you think of them and any improvments I can make. You all make such wonderful stuff that I am embarrased to show what I have done. It is no where near as good as what is posted here!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I plan on putting an led tea light in the jar. It might be a tad too dark so I am going to see tomorrow night how they look in the actual spot. If they are too dark I have lots of other pickle jars to remake them =)

What do you use to light up jars you have? Anything brighter out there?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Like the Salem stone and cross. A bit of sanding on the stone maybe. If you are still not happy with sanded area you could put scatches through it. Or distress that area with scraping or heatgun. Or acetone. But it does have character as you said. Please show your progress updates. :)

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks!

Today I put the sculpting clay on the witches head and started the hat. Im waiting for them to dry so I can add a bit more detail.

The hat I started with a $1 hat from the dollar store and put a dowel up thru the top, wrapped with with newspaper and then put paper mache all over it. It will take probably 4 more coats then I can paint it. I took the dowel out after I got the newspaper wrapped the way I liked it. I then taped it with duct tape and applied the mache over it. I actually forgot to take pics of the witches hat =(

The witches face is drying now and I'll snap some quick pics when hubby gets home with his phone. Mine does not take good pics at all!

I cant wait to see her when I get done!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Nice work on your witch - are you going to give her eyes or stick with the hollow soulless look ? (which looks really creepy)
You can make an easy stand for working on wighead's by a scrap of 2x4 with a hole drilled and pvc pipe inserted or a old mop handle or dowell of the right size can be screwed on . Makes it a lot easier to work on. :)

Those apples look yummy - just what I need with my morning cup of coffee ! Is that frosting for the base ?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts