Halloween Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently learned about using latex to make nurneys for awesome and nasty skin effects. I decided to try it on a groundbreaker.
I started with the contents of one of those Bags o' Bones I bought at Target last year.
tumblr_n9e6fde6el1qz58vqo1_250.jpg

I used some two-part epoxy clay to build out his face and make it more interesting.
tumblr_n9e6fde6el1qz58vqo3_400.jpg

Then, I tacked on some paper towels painted with latex and made some nurneys on an old lid for a rubbermade box that I had sitting around. My first batch were too thick. My second batch was just right. I found that two thin coats (dried in between) in opposite brush stroke directions was just about perfect.
tumblr_n9e6fde6el1qz58vqo5_250.jpg

I dusted it with some baby powder to make it less sticky and then started pulling it off in big pieces and attaching it to the skeleton here and there.
tumblr_n9e6fde6el1qz58vqo6_250.jpg
tumblr_n9e6fde6el1qz58vqo4_250.jpg

I found that the toughest part was finding something to anchor the latex on. I wound up putting a small screw in the back of the skull to hang the nurneys on.
tumblr_n9e6fde6el1qz58vqo7_250.jpg

After a couple coats of paint in various colors...
tumblr_n9e6fde6el1qz58vqo8_400.jpg

and Voila!
tumblr_n9e6fde6el1qz58vqo10_400.jpg

It's easy and much less messy than dipping cotton or spiderwebbing into latex. Next time I think I'll tint the latex before making the nurneys. Covering all of the white latex paint is a bit tedious.

I learned most of these awesome tips from this video It's really great!

·
Rutherford Manor Haunt
2,065 Posts
I learned most of these awesome tips from this video It's really great!
Your skelly looks great Intellagirl, nice job!!!!

Ah Brad Goodspeed, awesomely talented Canadian haunter who has won many awards, this video series is very well done. Yes nurney's are awesome, they create a cool effect and save a lot of time. I used Brad's videos last year to make a few skulls, here is a pic of one of them.

·
Crunchitize Me Cap'n
1,654 Posts
Awesome work guys! Thanks for the video link, I watched the whole video series! And with a new Party City opened here this year, pints of latex are readily available.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts