Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Totally unplanned, uncared for, it just very slowly.... happened, and it happened at the corner of my yard, right where most people stand to take possibly their first look at my house.
30 years ago I mounted a dirt bike into the huge dent in the side of my car, complete with skeletal bike rider (Pictures on the website hauntedravensgrin.com
Today as I was cutting small limbs and vines to access this forgotten corner , I knew the dirt bike was still there, but I had never noticed how the tree had grown right through the wire spokes of the front wheel, then reformed into one large mass of wood again, then it turned straight "UP" and grew another 25 feet high!
The trunk is about the diameter of a volley ball.
Of course I could also just claim I planned it this way and have been faithfully watering and caring for.. the Dirt Bike (But it didn't grow at all!)

·
Registered
628 Posts
Somehow motorcycle death doesn't seem Halloweeny to me.Tasteless maybe but not Halloweeny Maybe because I have been riding for decades and have lost friends to the carelessness of car drivers.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Friends, people we know, and the end of life for them should never be considered "Fun" or "Funny".
Many scenes within a Haunted house will depict death, mutilation, a long list of a vast array of horrible, unacceptable things that have happened to people, some where at some time. Are they really happening inside a Haunted House? Better not be for all of our concern.
The way I made the motorcycle display is an idea I had, which could never be real. Nobody could be driving a car with a real motorcycle wreck embedded into it, With a skeleton still riding the motorcycle, still wearing boots, helmet, bent down looking at his bike's Tachometer as the skeleton holds it in his hand.
Some seeing my haunt might be wondering where the blood, guts and gore are?
I really don't consider such things to be" of the Season". but rather Holly Wood's attempt to make some scenario to sell movie tickets (at which they have been obviously Very successful !)
On a personal note I seem to see the end of someone's life happening regularly involving Hospitals, their own bodies being opened, not something I find fun or funny in the least.
I have one real coffin here . I might try to make a joke about a coffin, only to then discover this group is here, in this little town to attend a relative's funeral .
"Coffin Joke"= Not Funny. If someone had clued me into this fact, there would not have been any coffin references.
All humor is "Risk" you risk not being funny or offending someone... but the house tour I do here has always used quite a bit of humor and attempted humor.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Before we even sell anyone a ticket for the house we are already checking them out as far as if they have a sense of humor.
I try to asses people's personality as far as previous experiences in a haunt and if they might be timid types or have certain phobias, then we don't go "there".
I have So many possible ways and a lot of subject matter here I could give very different tours here to almost any kind of people, and yet, some do get "drug" here by their "Friends" who other wise would never be able to come into this house.
We are very successful at keeping the majority of ticket holders in for the entire house tour, even if we have to stray away from the normal Ravens Grin tour.
We encourage people to come here in the afternoons on the weekend if someone with them happens to be nervous or scarred by events they "suffered" through in another haunt, or are younger children.

·
Prince of Arkham Asylum
2,553 Posts
I agree with ReelSore. It's impossible not to offend at least one person in a group when discussing death and trying to have fun with it. Let's face it... this is a holiday that glorifies death. There's no way to avoid it. "I can't believe you would have a vampire in your display. My sister was bitten and killed by a vampire." :mad::rolleyes:

I mean, death is at the base of this holiday. I don't think we can distinguish between what kinds of death are acceptable in a display (stabbing, chainsaw massacre, ax murder), and which aren't (motorcycle accident). I think that's unfair. What's the difference? I displayed Leatherface and Michael Myers last year, and not one person complained. Everyone LOVED it! Real people have died in the "acceptable" ways of being slaughtered. Why don't we see people whine about that? Most humor boarders on the cusp of offensive. Allowing yourself to laugh at it can be freeing and therapeutic.

To those who are offended... let it go. If you don't like it, ignore it. Not everyone should be forced to get everything approved by you to be able to display it. I think "offensive" should be determined by what is offensive to the vast majority of people, not one or two.

Sorry... <EOR>. [climbing down off of soapbox.]

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One of the very famous comedians said :Humor might be when you see someone break a leg, tragedy is when you break your leg."
Or like the old saying:"It all depends upon whose kid has the measles?"
"Oh, it's just the measles, everybody gets them eventually."
"Yes, but I didn't want my kid getting them now!"
The other night a man posted on my Facebook that coming to go through my house was one of the five best things that he has done in his life.
Compliments are better than money, you can't spend them, and until one's memory completely fails, you will never forget it.(and savor it)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts