Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I created this effect after visiing Transworld in Chicago several years back.

I used an old Kitchenaid Mixer motor to turn a long length of pvc pipe fitted with eye bolt screws offset a few degrees along the shaft at each floorboard location. Dogear fence slats cut at the midpoint and pinned back together with a finish nail then anchored on one side with small hinges created the broken floorboards. Several of the same boards mounted together form a "door" at the end where a pneumatic cylinder opens that and pops up the monster.

·
Registered
85 Posts
That is awsome. Great job.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
OMFG, I want the step by step tutorial for that! That was an awesome effect that put him right at your feet and nobody would be the wiser what was going to happen. LOVE IT!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
..newbie here...

...but I was/am a member of other groups and forums. Been out of the gung-ho prop building for a couple of years. I think I'm getting back in this year with some new ideas.

Thanks for the warm welcome!!

That video really doesn't do the prop justice. It's kind of dark and slow. I increased the air pressure slightly to speed up his arrival. That improved the affect greatly. I believe I'll add another cylinder to the right side of the door to make it smoother and reduce the ammount of stress on the linkage. Right now a piece of conduit connects the left linkage with the right linkage. It's too much energy loss. And with double the acting cylinders I use, they will pull the door shut fast and clean as well. The walls on both sides are 3/4 pink foam painted like peeling wallpaper and wainscott, and a 1/8" thick piece of paneling for the ceiling. There's also a flourescent ballast activated light at the end over the box that randomly flickers. The whole prop is built on 2" x 12"s which makes it heavy and sturdy. I can walk along the center of the floor when the boards are all down. I use a Prop2 with a PIR to detect motion for control.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Saweet!!!!!!! Great job!

·
Registered
354 Posts
I saw this a while back through the Garage of Evil. It's without a doubt one of my favorites that I go back to look at once in a while.

Thanks for giving more information on how it's done!

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
That's great. I especially like the diversion of the crate rattling and then the ghoul jumping out at the other end. Since I can't cook, I think it's an ingenious way of using a Kitchenmade mixer! LOL.

·
Registered
206 Posts
That is just all kinds of awesome! Any cahnce you could show a diagram of the floor section? I'm trying to figure out how you've got the boards cut and mounted that still allows you to walk on it.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts