Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I created this effect after visiing Transworld in Chicago several years back.

I used an old Kitchenaid Mixer motor to turn a long length of pvc pipe fitted with eye bolt screws offset a few degrees along the shaft at each floorboard location. Dogear fence slats cut at the midpoint and pinned back together with a finish nail then anchored on one side with small hinges created the broken floorboards. Several of the same boards mounted together form a "door" at the end where a pneumatic cylinder opens that and pops up the monster.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
..newbie here...

...but I was/am a member of other groups and forums. Been out of the gung-ho prop building for a couple of years. I think I'm getting back in this year with some new ideas.

Thanks for the warm welcome!!

That video really doesn't do the prop justice. It's kind of dark and slow. I increased the air pressure slightly to speed up his arrival. That improved the affect greatly. I believe I'll add another cylinder to the right side of the door to make it smoother and reduce the ammount of stress on the linkage. Right now a piece of conduit connects the left linkage with the right linkage. It's too much energy loss. And with double the acting cylinders I use, they will pull the door shut fast and clean as well. The walls on both sides are 3/4 pink foam painted like peeling wallpaper and wainscott, and a 1/8" thick piece of paneling for the ceiling. There's also a flourescent ballast activated light at the end over the box that randomly flickers. The whole prop is built on 2" x 12"s which makes it heavy and sturdy. I can walk along the center of the floor when the boards are all down. I use a Prop2 with a PIR to detect motion for control.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.