Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, we have our graveyard set up out front with our homemade gravestones...including the one that has our own names on it. The mailman walked up to the door to put our mail in the mailbox and he actually yelled through the front door asking if we were worried about having put our names on a tombstone! LOL! I told him we purposely didn't put a year of death, only a month and day (Oct 31), so it wasn't so bad...he was freaking and said he still couldn't do something like that. Hahaha...oh boy, I think my mailman is scared of me now...

We thought the tombstone was a cute idea...with us still holding "hands" from beyond the grave...romantic and creepy. My poor mailman now thinks we have jinxed ourselves to die on Halloween, I suppose. I hope he doesn't hate us now...I'm not sure if he was joking or being serious...:eek:

Has anyone else done something like this? We had this up last year and no one said anything bad about it...I can't believe this is the first time he noticed it!

DSCN5659.jpg

·
Reaper Guardian
2,041 Posts
Haven't done it...but now, maybe I will!

Oh, and are you REALLY that young???? Gah, I'm surrounded by kids....feel so old

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now I'm slightly freaked out that I jinxed myself, lol. Darn mailman made me nervous...you can't put things like that into my head!! :D I'll be pretty bummed if we do, in fact, die on some Halloween...though maybe it'd be a cool death date to have...hmmm...

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I feel like I jinx myself on a daily basis so I probably wouldn't do it. I'm superstitious like that, or believe in self fulfilling prophecy or something along those lines...Regardless of how I feel about for myself I think its adorable, I didn't notice that hands at first but it's really really cute. And if ya gotta go, Halloween is the day to do it, you'll be roamin' and hauntin' every Halloween till the end of time.

·
Reaper Guardian
2,041 Posts
Kid? LOL...I'm in my 30's, lol.
10 or more years younger than me = kid! :D

Now I'm slightly freaked out that I jinxed myself, lol. Darn mailman made me nervous...you can't put things like that into my head!! :D I'll be pretty bummed if we do, in fact, die on some Halloween...though maybe it'd be a cool death date to have...hmmm...
Are you kidding??? It's another successful Halloween, you're sitting back enjoying the night, pleased with what you've accomplished, when you see a late ToT in a Grim Reaper costume, only to discover that it's no costume! Is there a BETTER way to go? (At least, one that can be described in a family friendly forum)??? I think not! And just think - then you don't have to clean up and put things away!

·
Protector of the winged
1,491 Posts
NAHHHH!!! You didn't jinx yourself. It's all in fun and games. I love the idea.. and you did such a great job.. so, no worries and enjoy what you've created! BTW... did you make the candles too? They're beautiful!

·
Registered
84 Posts
So, we have our graveyard set up out front with our homemade gravestones...including the one that has our own names on it. The mailman walked up to the door to put our mail in the mailbox and he actually yelled through the front door asking if we were worried about having put our names on a tombstone! LOL! I told him we purposely didn't put a year of death, only a month and day (Oct 31), so it wasn't so bad...he was freaking and said he still couldn't do something like that. Hahaha...oh boy, I think my mailman is scared of me now...

We thought the tombstone was a cute idea...with us still holding "hands" from beyond the grave...romantic and creepy. My poor mailman now thinks we have jinxed ourselves to die on Halloween, I suppose. I hope he doesn't hate us now...I'm not sure if he was joking or being serious...:eek:

Has anyone else done something like this? We had this up last year and no one said anything bad about it...I can't believe this is the first time he noticed it!

View attachment 175047
So how did you make your tombstones? I can't convince myself to invest in the styrofoam ones due to them being blown all over and then getting ruined. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
10 or more years younger than me = kid! :D

Are you kidding??? It's another successful Halloween, you're sitting back enjoying the night, pleased with what you've accomplished, when you see a late ToT in a Grim Reaper costume, only to discover that it's no costume! Is there a BETTER way to go? (At least, one that can be described in a family friendly forum)??? I think not! And just think - then you don't have to clean up and put things away!
Hahahaha! Funny thing is, is that I'm dressing as Death this year...

NAHHHH!!! You didn't jinx yourself. It's all in fun and games. I love the idea.. and you did such a great job.. so, no worries and enjoy what you've created! BTW... did you make the candles too? They're beautiful!
Yes, I made the candles...thank you! I have pics in my albums of them!

So how did you make your tombstones? I can't convince myself to invest in the styrofoam ones due to them being blown all over and then getting ruined. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
We used the pink insulating foam sheets. Design and draw onto foam, cut out, sand/file down, use a Dremel to do designs on it and wording, paint/seal with gray latex primer, spray carefully with sand texture spray paint, then finish up with acrylic paints for details. We also inserted narrow PVC into the bottoms to use to slide over rebar or dowel rods in the yard for easy set up, removal and strength. We get major wind here so the PVC added in really helped! You can see my other stones in my albums.

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
Technically, I have my own tombstone in my yard. Many years ago, I hadn't heard of the "Beloved" stones, which I now love BTW; but I wanted just a simple thin stone with the word "Beloved" on it for myself. That's what my first name means. ;) It doesn't do anything, and there's no weeping woman on it...just a plain ol' marker that I plunk some fake flowers down in front of every year. It doesn't have a date at all.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Some of my family members and friends have told me I should put my mailman's name on a tombstone!!! Hahahaha! As tempting as that may be, I'd be scared to A: never receive my mail again...or B: be arrested for harassment! :D
...plus, he's a nice guy...I couldn't be so cruel, lol.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Then your house would be the "Old Witchy Kitty place" that kids would cross the street to avoid and dare each other to go TOT at.

·
Registered
975 Posts
When we did our event at work a couple of years ago we put the birth dates and the death date (that very evening) with the names of some of those attending the ghost walk on the tombstones that we decorated with. We had asked them first when they booked on if they had a good sense of humour - we just didn't tell them why we needed their birth date!

They were all highly taken with their personalised stones and one lady even took hers home with her afterwards.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts