Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my latest prop. I was angle to score quite a bit of 3" styrofoam sheets for a good price. So I wanted to make a tomb for my first graveyard, I decided to incorporate a fog chiller in the tomb. It works great and I'm excited to use it for Halloween. Please watch my videos on you tube to see it in action.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
That's outstanding craftsmanship all-around, Donny!!
Your pics give me a pretty good understanding of your chiller's plumbing, but would you mind giving a bit more detail ? Fog output and appearance are primo!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A little more information on my fog chiller.

First thank you all for the positive comments and questions this is really a lot of fun being able to share ideas and techniques with other people around the world to love Halloween.

The way I did this was pretty simple once I figured it all out in my head. I started with 3" thick styro foam. These were 2' by 8' long. (I posted a pic of my haul home when I found this deal on Craigslist.). I figured out my length and width and depth , and built a frame out of 2 x 2. image.jpeg

Next I cut the foam with a hot knife. Best money spent, found it at harbor freight and northern tool. It has a 5 inch blade and getsto about 1000°. It cuts right through styrofoam like butter has a lot more control than those tools you buy from the hot foam factory. And it was only 20 box next to the 150 I spent for the hot foam factory tools that broke the first time I used it
. image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Next I worked out the designs I wanted to do on the front and side panels that would show in the graveyard. I traced of these out and then used various Dremel tools to carve them into the 3 inch foam. I used pipe insulation for the details around the Gothic shaped window design. image.jpg
image.jpeg
I attached the pipe insulation to the foam with gorilla glue and held in place with sewing pins until the glue dried. I then attached the foam panels to the wood framing.
On the on the lid and the base you can see in some of the pictures I had to join two pieces of Styrofoam together because my Styrofoam was only 2 feet wide and they were all beveled on two sides, so I had to cut the beveled side off to create a flat side so they would glue together easily. I used 4 inch wood screws through the Styrofoam to the wood to hold the panels in place until they dried.

Next I inserted 2 pieces of Styrofoam inside the box where I would make my fog chiller. I used great stuff spray foam to attach these pieces in place and to block out any fog from coming out the side. In this picture you can also see the 4 inch wood that I put in each corner to make sure the screen that I would insert later with setting high enough to where there was some air space below the ice.
image.jpeg

Next I inserted a 3 inch PVC pipe in the elbow through the back and up. I know the insides not real pretty but I've learned with Halloween props it's not what's on the inside what's matters, But what's on the outside.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I then made a screen out of 2 x 2's that would fit into it perfectly setting up about 6 inches from the bottom cooler.

On the front side of the cooler I carved out with the hot knife 3 half circles where the fog could come out.

After that it was all just details adding skulls from the dollar tree dry locking the whole thing, painting it black and then another coat of dry lock lighter this time. And then some tea staining.
image.jpeg

My fog machine is a 1301 Chauvet, and I use Froggys Bog Fog juice. I originally had 1000 W fog machine that you get at the party store for like $70, but once I had this planned I did not feel it was going to be powerful enough to provide the amount of fog we wanted for our graveyard. So I bought the Chauvet and thought I'd order the bog fog on Amazon and give it a try. The bog fog, along with the new machine was incredible. the output. was insane. In my party store fog machine I was just running the fog juice that's available at the party store, so I decided to try and run the bog fog in it as well in the output was seriously four times thicker and more smoke it was unreal what this Juice could do for even a cheap the fog machine.

I hope this clears up some of the questions that people have about how I did this. This is my first year of ever doing anything like this and it's been a lot of fun creating, designing, painting and playing and figuring things out and pull my hair out when things don't measure out right or when I can't find a certain material I might need for a project. Before August I had never even heard of the Halloween Forum or knew that people did anything like this, so a lot of my information I have been able to find on this website and then expand or bring my own ideas to it .

1 - 20 of 66 Posts