Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
[/LEFT
Image0103.jpg Three months of building and this it what my mind procured, a fifteen foot long, by twenty one foot wing span. Main construction is spruce, nice for carving, and doesn't carve too much outa your wallet, the full size vertibrea are 3" PVC schedule 60 pipe( smaller one's are spruce), and the disc are spray foam. Using only one ten foot piece of 3/4" conduit for attachment of the vertibrea, on the main body. She (Spike) is fully articulated, and lockable to any position, Spike will be pnematic next year (not enough time for this year), with retractable wings and flapping operation already configured, look at the wings closely and you will see the complexity of the retract design. I am also planning for a rear up and of course head (jaws, eyes, and neck) movement. Enough talk for now, I'm sure there will be many a question, yet. I think every third car down the road stops to take pictures (feeling like a rockstar), Spike is the coolest.:cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
99% of it is, spruce or framing stock. I am a stair builder by trade. But a halloween baby, born the 28th. I needed an artist outlet and a challenge, and this was the result.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you,
Pride is high, feeling like a rockstar.
I'm not getting any younger though, with my last child in highschool (finally) and a bum leg, I think I will be idling it back a bit and getting more into the intracasies of the season

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks,
I'm new so still figuring this out.
I do have a play by play set of pictures, if I can figure this out!
I'm sure i'll have it in no time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I love surfing the web for images and them mixing and mingling the ideas/designs, to make it an original. Having a full knowledge of scaling things, I do old school drafting, but one trick is to adjust the size of your picture to work on your scale by adjusting your printout. Many years onf scale RC's plane heli's, boats, n cars, which helps a bit.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you very much for that vote of confidence, once I get the swing of this sight there will be many more of my creations of yesturyear and future to post. I just hope I give some inspiration back to those whom don't ride the couch all night.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Building Spike 2012, Lifesize Dragon Skeleton

The build of Spike, Image0054.jpg Image0043.jpg Image0041.jpg
I started with Scaling off of three different pic's from online images. First order in this process is to adjust the size of pic output to match your sacle size. I desided a sixteen foot length should be full scale, so as that he will still tower over you. TIP when scaling be careful of angled pic's for they will distort your scale. With all of that completed I needed a six foot tail section. To save time I started with a 3" schedule 40 PVC pipe and sectioned it at 1-3/4". The count was 10 for the neck, 24 for the body, and 31 on the tail (with 14 full size and then 17 reduced @ 1/8" increments, or a total of 46 full size (PVC pipe). The sub ribs were then mocked up and adjusted to scale, with the full size and the smallest size established and scaled to a 1-1/4" core. The sub ribs were then manufactured , with 61 sets of (side) sub ribs and 31 lower, and 31 spikes (top). TIP to make rib pieces faster make parts from a 2X6 cut all side profiles with a decent band saw, and with one cut you have made six, then rip to size, next taper cut, and finally shape with drum and or disc sander. All pieces were then dowel ended 1/2" for structural attachment to the core (pipe and spruce for the incremented). Next the incremented core plugs were cut to basic size and then turned down with a sizing jig on the disc sander Then a jig was set up on the drill press to bore four 90% points. Finally one can start assembly of the 14 consistantlty sized pieces, making 90% reference index marks on layout bench to keep the sub ribs square and true. Next each of the incremented were assembled, by recutting and reshaping each set of parts to reduce overall size. This is only process for the tail section only mind you, it was about a full 40 hour week of work for me and I am a professional woodworker (stair builder), if you don't know how to jig for production, or a grade A woodworker, I would tend to steer you away from such a project!!!!
If that isn't enough and you truely think you want to build one let me know, lordy I do hate writing, I would rather be building!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts